OT - Food for a year

I just accidently ran aross a Sam's Club advertisement for "Food Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people" for under $3,000" . Just what I never needed, since there are two of us, that would last us 2 years and I don't think I could live for 2 years hiding in an underground bunker..

Reply to
hrhofmann

You'd also need to store a couple swimming pools full of water, and a couple hundred gallons of cooking fuel.

I've heard Costco had a bucket of food for some number of days. People who tried it, hated the food and the portions were sized for starvation diet.

You'd be better off to buy extras of what you already use, and develop a food rotation system.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just the first few of a google search:

Zz Yzx

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

who says that a disaster would force living underground? ever read One Second After by William Forstchen? about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the US? when food harvesting and distribution will be DRASTICALLY affected?

It's a very plausible scenario.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have some intention of stocking up for at least two months of supply.

I used to live across the street from this.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There are some funny cartoons on his page.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't know what "new TV shows" you are referring to (I watch a very small amount of television), but there is nothing wrong with disaster preparedness. Most rural people don't even call it such, it's just the way things are done (and have been done for generations).

It doesn't even have to only be about food, either, and could include having a few 2x4s/plywood/nails/screws available for whatever expedient home repair needs to be performed, sometimes before you can get it fixed properly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I am sure the channel broadcasting the program will soon be selling prepper food and other bomb-shelter gear on its website. )-:

I was disappointed to learn that one of the reasons that the value of everything on shows like "American Pickers" might be so highly inflated is that they resell the stuff they find on the Internet. It's like Gordon Ramsay's shows looking for chefs. Those shows give him a source for both new chefs and their new dishes for his string of restaurants. And it allows him to generate PR for his restaurant, Hell's Kitchen. What a great deal. You get new chefs with new ideas and get to torture test them while generating PR. If their was an oink involved, he'd be putting it to use, too. He's personally offensive but one hell of a marketer and self-promoter.

I'm waiting for "American Home Surgeon." I can hear the promos now:

"In order to beat the high cost of medical care and surgery, we've found DIY Americans willing to teach themselves surgery at home. Tonight, Joe Smith performs a tubal ligation on his promiscuous daugter to keep her from getting pregnant. After spiking her morning OJ with Rufinals, he applies anesthesia, a series of cans of ether-based engine starters applied via diving snorkel. He then sets to work with an Exacto #4 chisel-point knife and a pair of knitting needles. Joe says: "Yes, the cat I practiced on died a horrible death from sepsis, but her Fallopian tubes were way too small to see clearly. I'm sure I'll get it right this time!"

Total savings over inflated hospital costs: $12,000.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'd like to see references for some of those chefs that he's allegedly hired and that are at his restaurants. Even the winners disappear. I've been to two of the restaurants where the winners of Hell's Kitchen were supposed to become head chef and they were no where to be found. No photos of them, no reference to them on the menu, nada. If they were there, you'd think it would be good for PR to feature it.

The whole premise is a joke to begin with. Like a successful major restaurant is going to have some young punk that's paid $200K show up as executive chef? What would that do to the structure, moral etc considering the existing employees? Maybe one of the winners wound up at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant for a bit, but I bet they aren't there now. As for new dishes, I think Ramsay hardly needs the clowns on those shows as a source for new recipes.

Hell's Kitchen isn't a Gordon Ramsay restaurant. Or even a real restaurant. It's a Hollywood creation used only for the Hell's Kitchen show. I'm sure the PR does help his other restaurants. Still not all of them are successes and some have closed.

If there is a story here, it would probably be that the winners don't really get the jobs they are promised. I'd bet instead they give them something more like their salary for the year and show them the door.

Reply to
trader4

Already here. The show is called "Obama-care."

Reply to
Frank

Could be. If we get a REPUBLICAN president, a lot of people, in many hell-holes throughout the world, will be consumed with fear.

Plus a few in California.

Reply to
HeyBub

I certainly would not work for the clowns of questionable competence he has competing on the show. My guess is they do "hire" them and use them for some photo ops and the like. Maybe they do guest appearances at places like the embassy in Bulgaria.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep. The ugly truth is that no matter how much you store away, you _will_ run out and then what. The doomsday scenarios where civilization collapses _will_ resultit in around a 90% reduction in populaltion and the only survivors will be the roving bands of marauders. Not people hiding in holes.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K