OT: dvd recorder/vcr combo

Hi, Slight OT. I am trying to copy all my VCR tapes onto DVDs to save space. From anyone already doing or done this, please suggest which brand, model to purchase for easy and reliable operation. Budget is flexible for good unit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I found the panasonic dmr-ez47vk does a pretty good job. Be sure you know what DVD recording format you want to use: DVD (DVD-Video), DVD-RAM (DVD-VR, JPEG), DVD-R/-RW (DVD-Video, DVD-VR: DVD-RW only, DivX: DVD-R only), DVD-R (DL) [DVD-Video, DivX], +R/+R (DL)/+RW (Video)

The Panasonic will do pretty much any dvd media format, but you will need to decide which blank dvds you want to purchase for recording. This will be based on which dvd recording format will best work in the dvd players you will be using now and in the future, as well as the dvd players of anyone else you wish to send dvds to.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I never realized there were so many choices. ( so many ways to screw up too..... )

When I rent a ( regular ) DVD movie from Blockbuster, what format is it in ?

What blanks would I buy to create disks in this format ?

Reply to
Anonymous

google for dvd faq

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It is not in a format that is used for home recording. It is proprietary to meet the current standards of the industry and entertainment groups.

I know that the response 'just depends' sounds flip, but it applies. It also depends on if you want to use a blank dvd that is able to be re-recorded over (for taping tv shows for example) or a single use dvd. All the panasonic dvd recorders, including the combo dvd/vcr recorders, will record any format you decide to use.

This link may help:

Dave Bugg

Also, doesn't it depend on what kind of VHS tapes you have to copy? You can transfer home videos with no problem, but doesn't copy protection become a problem if it's a commercial VHS? I thought there was something there to prevent copying those without the DVD copy winding up with at least some distortion in it to prevent making good identical copies?

Reply to
trader4

I thought the OP was talking about copying home movies, so I missed any reference about copying commercial tapes or dvds. Yes, copy protection can make the copying of commercial movies impossible without distortions. But it is not absolute with all copyrighted material.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

There are lots of commercial tapes out there that don't have Macrovision protection. If you could make a decent copy on another VCR you can make a DVD.

Reply to
gfretwell

As long as it plays, it doesn't matter.

Whatever disks your recorder can handle. DVD-r or DVD+r ("minus r" and "plus r"). They're not the same but they are physically identical. Read the recorder's manual.

Reply to
Bob M.

Uh, that's what I said, 'But it is not absolute with copyrighted material'.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Hi, Yes, my idea is to copy(archive) my home made movies for family. I am familiar with formats, over riding protected materials, etc. I was looking for input regarding reliable unit from experienced users. So far it looks like Panasonic DMR-series is good bet? I was looking at Toshiba units as well. Now I have to send an email to Santa, LOL! Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 11:48:33p, Tony Hwang meant to say...

I've had a JVC for about a year and a half. Recording/transfer quality is excellent.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Been using a Lite-On LVC-9016G I found at Costco for a couple years now. For my purposes an ideal setup. User has the option to copy from tape to disc or disc to tape.

I like being able to record TV shows for late viewing. The old time shifting principle that made VCR's popular. Only now I can watch them on my laptop while waiting for a flight at the airport.

Reply to
Jim