OT: Coolest sound ever - golf ball on frozen lake

I also had a daft English teacher who would shout my name while I was in the middle of a conversation with a friend during class. I would always instinctively say "what?" which caused her to say "don't be cheeky!"

At a parents evening, she apparently burst into tears because she "didn't know how to make me behave in class"!

I just never found English interesting at all. WTF was the point in reading Shakespeare? It was in a foreign language!

I have 6 computers, ranging from 2 years old to 12 years old. They're all running 24/7 on science projects. Black holes, dark matter, curing cancer, that sort of thing. The graphics cards are fun, they can go many times faster than a CPU, given a simple task to do which requires massively parallel computations, such as sifting through a lot of telescope data. For the dark matter searching, I have cards which can complete a batch of data in 37 seconds, whereas a CPU of the same era takes 2 hours.

But nowhere near the cancer death rate, and absolutely nowhere near the population growth rate. So not exactly the end of the world. But closing everything down will cause the end of the world. You can't just stop and sit at home. Let people take their own precautions and civilisation can continue.

Fallout 4 is not online. It's a huge 3D adventure game with some fighting in it aswell as collecting stuff, doing quests for people you meet, and building towns. And what I like is there's no set order to do things in, you just wander around, complete quests for money or other rewards, then go do something else.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Nov 2, 2020 at 2:02:27 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0tg3edtlwdg98l@glass>:

In the US they have been heavily infiltrated by white supremacists and other far right ideologies. I am sure this makes it very challenging for the good cops -- and I do think there are plenty of those.

Reply to
Snit

On Nov 2, 2020 at 5:24:42 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0thcrgh0wdg98l@glass>:

Not surprising. My kids have some teachers teaching online for the first time... and some are quite clueless about it. It is... frustrating to say the least. I have a lot of respect for teachers in general, but there are some I wish would put in more effort!

Reply to
Snit

On Nov 2, 2020 at 6:21:32 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0thfd61nwdg98l@glass>:

My 15 year old is going through that now... reading Julias Caesar. Or, really, just parts. Not enough to really even get the full story as far as I can tell. I have helped to create a tiny amount of interest based on how the text can be read in different ways. My teen is pretty heavily into acting (or was before the pandemic) so this offers SOME connection to it. There is also the side of how many of those "cliché" phrases it uses were, as far as we know, FIRST used there -- so there is a big impact on the language.

But, yeah, hard to connect with Shakespeare as a teen -- or, really, for most even as adults. I have no great love of his works.

I am not surprised by the GPU doing better... though the amount seems more than I would have guessed.

It is not an extinction level event... but then again taking precautions is not either. Nor can you just let people take their one precautions without rules -- society does not work that way. None, ever. We have rules to protect ourselves from each other.

Curious. I have just recently been sucked into "Among Us" by my teens. And I suck. I would be not AS bad if I could control the movement of my character better... but I just do not have that skill. I do now have it on my desktop (Android emulator) and find I do a LOT better there. Still have to memorize maps and get better at keeping track of what I see other players doing. Fun little game.

Reply to
Snit

Do his teachers explain what the words mean first? Before even opening the book, we should be taught WTF a thee and a thou is. With important joining words missing, the sentence is meaningless.

I've never understood that. A text must mean one thing. If it's read in a different way, someone is wrong.

I do remember being taken on a school trip to see a Glaswegian version of one of his plays. It was quite amusing and I could understand more of it. I distinctly remember something about alcohol and things doth floppilize!

It was a very rough estimate from memory. I worked out once that a GPU and CPU (using all its cores) of the same era are different by a factor of up to 90 (the up to depending on what the program is, how simple the instructions are, whether the problem branches widely, etc). My rough estimate above comes to x195, so I was a bit out. The x90 can be seen with dark matter searches - see Milkyway@Home Seperation tasks.

Absolute utter f****ng bullshit! We do not need a controlled society. We are intelligent beings that can think for ourselves. If they removed the law of murder, would you go out and kill someone this afternoon? No. The minority that do murders ill do them whether it's illegal or not. Just like the people who break the speed limit still do it when it's illegal.

Looks like something from the 80s. Buy them a more modern computer for goodness sake. You can get photo realistic games now.

I suck at Fallout 4, but you can pick a difficulty level, and even adjust it during the game if part is too hard or too easy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Having been taught by, and worked along side (as a computer tech), teachers, I do not have respect for about 50% of them.

The most irritating thing about one of my primary school teachers was her religion. I got many a detention for daring to suggest Jesus Christ was not a saviour. Funny thing was I could fart freely without punishment, she just asked if there was "something wrong with my inners". Then at high school I got a really funny history teacher who would not get anyone into trouble for farting or burping, but would get anyone into trouble for laughing at it, because they are "a natural bodily function".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Nov 3, 2020 at 2:48:29 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0tiz63jzwdg98l@glass>:

We have a HUGE issue in the US where we do not pay enough, nor show enough respect to the profession, to pull in as many good teachers as we need. We end up with a lot of bad teachers. And then even with the good ones they are tossed into classes they are not qualified to teach. I had one year where I was not just managing the tech for the school, but also teaching a computer class, doing yearbook and the newspaper (combined class), teaching science, teaching math, and co-teaching English. And all of that with essentially no budget (for the science class, for example, I had no books and only $20/student for the year for ALL supplies I needed, including any paper I used).

I am generally a good teacher -- Upward Bound and Intuit kept very good records on how students did after class so I have stats to back that up -- but I know I was NOT a good teacher for my math students... and by the second semester my boss did agree to have someone else take it over so I could focus more on the other things I was doing.

At a local school they had someone teaching computer classes who had NO background in computers. She did not know, for example, that you can set a standard mouse to work better for left handed folks who want the buttons swapped. I ended up helping her out, but while she was a good person and may very well have been a good teacher in the subjects she knew AND knew how to teach (not the same skill sets), she was NOT a good teacher for that class and she knew it.

In 4th grade I had an art assignment where we had to draw Christmas trees. I asked if I could do something for Chanukah, given how I had never had a Christmas tree and had no interest in them. She said no. I asked if I could at least put a Star of David ("Jewish Star") on the top of the tree. She agreed to that... so I made a tiny tree about the size of a dime and a star that took up most of the page -- with green dots on every other corner. She was NOT amused.

It is insane to me that they push ANY religion in schools. My kids have faced it, too -- with us having more than one conversation with teachers and administrators. I do not care if religion is mentioned, after all it is a big part of the life of many people, but how dare you push it only my kids. That is NEVER acceptable.

I had a 6th grade class where someone snuck in a fart machine and every few minutes in class would set it off. I ignored it for a bit and then when it got more frequent (they thought I did not hear it) I tracked down where it was in the class and asked who had the controller. The students were scared they would be in trouble (who cares about a little practical joke) but also wanted to know how I knew it was a fart machine. The sounds are very specific to that model (and maybe others... I do not know)... and I happened to have the same one at home. :)

Reply to
Snit

It's a simple fact that there are more black criminals.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Nov 3, 2020 at 7:15:33 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0tjcj7t2wdg98l@glass>:

Unsupported and irrelevant to my point.