OT: Coolest sound ever - golf ball on frozen lake

Cool!.. But....

Why so much safety gear? And why didn't they just wade into the water to do it, or use a proper boat?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sounds like the team player bullshit activities they have for companies in the UK.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

WTF do you mean by read only?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They all do better than you think. Did you know if you're shivering you've only lost 1C of core temperature? And that to die you need to lose 17C?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only briefly. I've watched loads of youtube videos where that happens and all the spectators make noises as though they think it's really nasty, then the diver just climbs out of the water with nothing more than the look of being stung by a nettle.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sorry chum, I really have little idea.

Working boats are few and far between and it takes many days/weeks to position them. A 'float' can be put on a trailer and transported by road.

Reply to
David_B

On Oct 29, 2020 at 7:44:43 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s868tvnwdg98l@glass>:

Not just the UK. Yeah... I could see it being used there.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 29, 2020 at 7:45:16 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s869qgrwdg98l@glass>:

Auto-read. Oops.

I have them set to be read automatically... though not deleted.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 29, 2020 at 7:46:50 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s87ccb3wdg98l@glass>:

True enough.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 29, 2020 at 7:45:54 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s87asurwdg98l@glass>:

Nope. But still not uncommon for people to need to be hospitalized for the cold... such as when they stand around for hours at super spreader events in support of a man working to make sure they do not have health insurance.

Hundreds of Trump supporters stuck on freezing cold Omaha airfield after rally, 7 taken to hospitals

-----

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 29, 2020 at 2:33:45 AM MST, "David_B" wrote <_%vmH.914$ snipped-for-privacy@fx42.ams:

Oops.

Reply to
Snit

If you have a trailer you could fit on a solid one made of wood and empty barrels.

We did something similar as teenagers with 10 canoes. The challenge was to position the canoes side by side and try to walk from the 1st to the last without falling in. I think the record was mine, with only 6 canoes before not quite falling in but bashing my head on one of the canoes. At this point we were told to "stop larking about" by the park ranger incase we "damaged their expensive equipment".

I did damage something once. I managed to ram a windsurf into the stone edge of the reservoir at high speed, ripping the daggerboard off. It was the first time I'd ever windsurfed and I mixed up which way to tilt the sail to turn it, so when I saw the land rapidly approaching, I leapt into the water and heard a loud crack.

ROTFPMSL! Opera says "leapt" is spelt incorrectly. It wants "leaped"!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Oct 29, 2020 at 11:35:42 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s9hxsq8wdg98l@glass>:

Being in a desert I used to go sand sailing... what they call land sailing here:

We did it in high wind situations... where it was FAR from safe. There were times we would go fully air born.

That area they show is great for it though -- so big and hard (no jokes there!) that the space shuttle could use it as an emergency landing spot if needed.

Reply to
Snit

Sounds fun, I've seen them do that on beaches in France.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Oct 29, 2020 at 5:11:02 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s9xgoyjwdg98l@glass>:

Fun ... but dangerous in 40+ MPH winds!

Reply to
Snit

Fun is directly proportional to danger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Oct 29, 2020 at 6:37:37 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s91gzh5wdg98l@glass>:

At times, yes. :)

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 29, 2020 at 7:43:22 PM MST, "%" wrote snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net>:

Sometimes the victim is a pig in the mud.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 29, 2020 at 9:17:22 PM MST, "%" wrote snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net>:

Here's mud in the sty!

Reply to
Snit

On 30/10/2020 01:37, Commander Kinsey wrote: [....]

Flying a sing-seat Hawker Hunter at 430 knots (almost 500 mph) at just

200ft AGL around the Welsh hills was GREAT fun! :-D
Reply to
David_B