OT: Brakes seizing on electric cars? (2024 Update)

EXACTYLY what the wiki said

"Designed specifically to win the Le Mans 24-hour race, the slippery D-Type was produced by Jaguar Cars Ltd. between 1954 and 1957. Sharing the straight-6 XK engine and many mechanical components with its C-Type predecessor, its structure however was radically different. Innovative monocoque construction and aerodynamic efficiency integrated aviation technology in a sports racing car, some examples including a renowned vertical stabilizer.

Engine displacement began at 3.4 litres, was enlarged to 3.8 L in 1957, and reduced to 3.0 L in 1958 when Le Mans rules limited engines for sports racing cars to that maximum. D-Types won Le Mans in 1955, 1956 and 1957. After Jaguar temporarily retired from racing as a factory team, *the company offered the remaining unfinished D-Types as XKSS versions* whose *extra road-going equipment* made them eligible for production sports car races in America. In 1957 25 of these cars were in various stages of completion when a factory fire destroyed nine of them.

No indicators on a D type.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

we went when Jag were still racing, .

I though they "theoretically" had to be "road" cars

Reply to
charles

Nope.

That's why the XKSS was made, to run them INTO road cars

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At primary school in the UK in about 1983, one of the teachers had an Austin something or other, the one that looked like a small van with two doors at the back. I was fascinated when it indicated, an arm popped up with an orange light on it. Not sure why they did that instead of having normal lights like we do now. Was it a law it had to stick out back then?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Arm at 100mph+. Whoops!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It was probably trying to replace the driver's arm giving turning signals

Reply to
charles

That's why they had lights - we were told

We were told they were D Type.

Reply to
charles

Think the D type may have just about been road legal, but it was built for competition. The XKSS was the road going version and very rare as a fire at the factory destroyed the tooling etc before many were built. Rumour was it used up spare D-type body tubs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If you drove one of those nowadays some wanker cyclist would pull it off.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you're wobbling by 1.5m in each direction, you need to take a cycling proficiency test. I cycle on the road, and I'm quite happy for cars to leave 1 cubit between me and them.

Do you seriously expect a queue of 10 cars stuck behind you to wait until nothing is coming the other way? You're as bad as a caravaner.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It had 123DNRP. I call it "2nd" instead of the "1" marked on it, as it had 4 gears, roughly lined up with a manual's 2/3/4/5.

This was a 1998 car, not one of those old mechanical gearshifts. All the lever did was electronically request the gear you prefer. If I selected 1st at 100mph, nothing happened. If I selected 1st at 60, it would drop to 3, then as the car slowed, 2, then eventually 1. I tried it once at high speed and alarmed a passenger who'd never seen an auto before. The car very neatly slowed down rapidly, dropping gears at precisely the right time to make the revs just touch the red line. Accelerating with it in 3 would keep it in 3 until it was bad to do so, as in overrevving, then go into 4th.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Every auto I've driven (3 of them) was perfectly good in ice and snow using D. Press the gas gently and it would stay in the highest gear possible.

One of them (a 1988 3.5L V8 4WD Range Rover) didn't have so many safety measures on it. I could rev it up fully in N, then select D. All 4 wheels spun briefly and the vehicle shot forwards. Scared the shit out of any nearby pedestrians.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A horse gets spooked, a cyclist does not.

I'm not talking about traffic jams, I'm talking about when the road has plenty of room to go at full speed, but there's something like a tractor or caravan going too slowly, but too much coming the other way to overtake it. Why the f*ck don't they pull into laybys?! As for cyclists, there's loads of room for 2 cars and a bicycle on most roads, so you can overtake with oncoming traffic. If they're too far out (like your sort) they soon move in when you threaten to nudge them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

wiki says the XSS wasn't built until 1957, afer Jaguar ceased racing. We went to Brown's Lane in 1956.

Reply to
charles

You cannot arbitrarily assign your own numbering system to the ratios. If 1 is the lowest ratio, then it is 1 not 2 or any other notation you might dream up. The 1, 2 & 3 indications on the shift indicator are Lock Ratios indicating the trans won’t upshift beyond that ratio. A lock is not required on 4th which is, should you care to investigate, an overdrive ratio. The direct drive (1:1) is usually on 3rd in a 4 speed auto. As well, the trans is likely set up so TC lockup is only enabled on overdrive 4th.

mechanical gearshifts. All the lever did was electronically request the gear you prefer. If I selected 1st at 100mph, nothing happened. If I selected 1st at 60, it would drop to 3, then as the car slowed, 2, then eventually 1. I tried it once at high speed and alarmed a passenger who'd never seen an auto before. The car very neatly slowed down rapidly, dropping gears at precisely the right time to make the revs just touch the red line. Accelerating with it in 3 would keep it in 3 until it was bad to do so, as in overrevving, then go into 4th.

It matters not one whit what the selection mechanism is. The difference here is the electronics are much more adept in the foolproofing department

- as you clearly make apparent.

—- Xeno
Reply to
Xeno

That would explain it using up spare D type bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The jaguar D type had no indicators at all. Front headlights tail lights and stop lights

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that really necessary? I've driven plenty old cars and the brakes are always good enough to be able to lock the wheels.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

FFS, I tried to drive off today and the throttle jammed fully open. Much WD40 and it's behaving a little better.

Luckily it has a rev limiter, although quite why it jumps about and doesn't stay at precisely the red line nobody knows.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No hazard lights in case of a crash?

Reply to