OT - Amtrak Sure Doesn't Hire Mensa Members

Like any govt operation, I'm sure there is plenty of stupidity involved, so who knows. I can tell you NJ transit trains are a mess. It takes two hours to travel by train from where I live to NYC. I can be there by car in an hour, if it's not rush hour. One obvious problem is that there are just too many stops and having so many serves almost no purpose. The train stops at one small shore town after another, just a mile apart. These stops have very limited parking. So, who benefits? Only the few people who live so close they can walk. The rest of us would be better served by having large parking lots at a few key towns and eliminating those other stops. Once in my car, I'd rather drive

5 mins or 10 mins instead of 2 mins if the train trip winds up being 30 mins faster. Does that count as a way of making it go faster across the board?
Reply to
trader_4

Just looked at this thread as it might refer to Biden being a big Amtrak supporter. He's not a Mensa member and more like a Zika baby.

Reply to
Frank

It might, but T&S would still want them to go faster between the fewer stations. ;-)

Do you know if the folks in the small shore towns have cars that they can drive to and leave at the train stations? I'm just asking, not arguing.

Having grown up in NYC I know that there are many residents without cars and many of them walk to the nearby train stations to get to work.

I can imagine (but don't know) that bus service might be limited in those shore towns, so maybe walking to a nearby station is the only way for them to access transportation. Possible?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Almost everyone here has a car, needs a car to get around. Most of those homes that you could walk to are $500K+. You do see some Mexicans riding bikes to get around, but they are the exception and Trump is gonna throw them out.

Not really. There are also buses for getting around too. But neither the bus nor the train are adequate to survive. They may be viable for a trip to another town, going distances, but not so much for getting around to the supermarkets, dry cleaners, etc. For 99%, it's a car.

Reply to
trader_4