OT: Americans can only do one Math

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76144/why-no-one-wanted-aws-third-pound-burger
Americans have loved McDonald’s Quarter Pounder ever since a franchisee introduced the iconic burger to the country in 1972. In the 1980s, A&W attempted to capitalize on the success of the Quarter Pounder—and drum up a little competition for Ronald and friends—by introducing a third-pound burger. The bigger burger gave consumers more bang for their collective buck. It was priced the same as the Quarter Pounder but delivered more meat. It even outperformed McDonald’s in blind taste tests, with consumers preferring the flavor of A&W’s burger.
But when it came down to actually purchasing the third-pound burgers, most Americans simply would not do it. Baffled, A&W ordered more tests and focus groups. After chatting with people who snubbed the A&W burger for the smaller Quarter Pounder, the reason became clear: Americans suck at fractions. Alfred Taubman, who owned A&W at the time, wrote about the confusion in his book Threshold Resistance:
More than half of the participants in the Yankelovich focus groups questioned the price of our burger. "Why," they asked, "should we pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as we do for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald's? You're overcharging us." Honestly. People thought a third of a pound was less than a quarter of a pound. After all, three is less than four!
Not understanding that a fourth is actually smaller than a third, many consumers eschewed the better-tasting burger in favor of the one they thought was the better deal. According to Taubman, A&W recalibrated their marketing, saying, “The customer, regardless of his or her proficiency with fractions, is always right.”
Apparently undaunted by the average American’s less-than-average math skills, McDonald’s tried their own version of the bigger burger, the “Angus Third-Pounder,” in 2007.
It didn’t last, but they gave it another shot with the “Sirloin Third Pounder” just last year. That one is gone now, too, but the mighty Quarter Pounder remains a mainstay.
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 1:23:30 PM UTC-7, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

rger

[...]

rote:

d-burger

[...]

What a complicated formula :-)
-- I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People get out of the way much faster now.

Like I pointed out that we voted for Obama twice, don't underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

d-burger

franchisee

and drum

eir

taste

er

uck

the

y.

her

age math

er, the

Sirloin Third

ighty

Is it all of you, or just those in the deep south?
-- Advice for office managers: If you keep the sexual harassment complaint forms in the bottom drawer, then when a woman gets one out you'll get a great view of her arse.

Mostly coastal and big cities.

und-burger

a franchisee

A&W

and drum

ng a

their

nd taste

.
s,

sts

rger

suck

t the

ay

tly.

d.

any

ey

r her

erage math

rger, the

Sirloin Third

mighty

That covers a large proportion of the population.
-- Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.

They voted for Hillary.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net says...

There are several reasons for NASA in the south. If you notice almost all space going rockets are shot off toward the east . This is to take advantage of the extra speed of the earth. If rockets were shot from the other parts of the country itwould mean they would have to pass over much of the US instead of the ocean. If something went wrong, the rocket falls in the ocean instead of populated areas.

)??

er

The speed of the earth? Uhhhhh.... you don't appear to be that bright. They go vertically up from their launch site. The spin of the earth is irrelevant.
-- I thought the wife would be the ideal candidate for a new TV show. Turns out I got it all wrong and the program's called Fact Hunt.

http://www.popsci.com/why-does-rocket-need-to-roll-going-into-orbit
Popular Science ought to be your speed...

I doubt the 24 hour rotation makes that much difference.
--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 9:53:01 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
net> wrote:

² _ಠ)â??

They go vertically up from their launch site. The spin of the earth is irr elevant.

Obviously it's not irrelevant. An object needs a given speed to maintain a given orbit around the earth. Since the earth is already spinning, if you fire the object in the direction the earth is spinning, then the speed the object has due to the earth's rotation just before launch is already part of the speed needed and you don't need to accelerate it as much as if it had been fired in the opposite direction. Also rocket trajectories are not typically straight up.
On 06/19/2017 07:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Depends on what you're doing. Although they didn't get the Space Shuttle Vandenberg has a busy schedule with the Titan heavy lifts. They launch to the south to get material into polar orbit with azimuths from 158 to 201 degrees. Nothing out there but the Pacific. KSC's azimuth limits are from 35 to 120 degrees or the rocket will pass over inhabited landmass. Dropping parts on Michigan is frowned upon.
In a pinch you could do a polar insertion from KSC but the necessary maneuvering cuts into the payload.
Then there is Wallops if you want to put on a fireworks show for the taxpayers.

The above made me laugh.

--
Chaos will reign over order - it's easier to implement.

ROFL. Point well made.

If God dwells within us, I hope He likes enchiladas, because that's
And America put Trump into office following Obama, greatly accelerating our journey into stupidity. At least Obama wasnt so stupid he gave an intervie w with Lester Holt where he admitted to firing comey because of the Russia investigation. Did Obama call in the ruskies and tell his buddies that the pressure is off now that he fired that nut job? "Hello, Israel, I just got back from the middle east. " Trump is beyond forest Gump stupid.

Trump hates foreigners, that's a good start. Your country needs cleaning.
--
I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 7:32:48 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
e:

our journey into stupidity. At least Obama wasnt so stupid he gave an inte rview with Lester Holt where he admitted to firing comey because of the Rus sia investigation. Did Obama call in the ruskies and tell his buddies that the pressure is off now that he fired that nut job? "Hello, Israel, I just got back from the middle east. " Trump is beyond forest Gump stupid.

.
Why don't you just worry about fixing your own country? Looks like May's "f ixing" is over.

I never said ours was perfect. But you have more immigrunts than us.
--
If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?