OT - a neighbor's network name

Less stupid than posting it here.

Reply to
mike

I give my test computers horrible profane names so there's no problem finding them in a routing table. Same with wireless AP's. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi, Nothing better to do this time of the year? Who cares about other's SSID.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You musta never set up a home network. All the names show. No snooping needed.

Reply to
Me

And so neighborhood kids won't want their mothers to see them trying to connect to you?

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why would I build a fiber optic network?

Reply to
Me

Who wants to connect to "Hemorrhoids", "Penial Implant" or "Hillary Rodham Clinton"? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I guess a hacker could be a total pain in the ass, trying to get his connection speed up, or terrified to death?

.

Who wants to connect to "Hemorrhoids", "Penial Implant" or "Hillary Rodham Clinton"? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sometimes they're a source of cheap entertainment. Especially when they're making wisecracks about their neighbors.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Per Oren:

Which begs a question: Is Plastic Optical Fiber something new vis-a-vis LANs?

I stumbled upon this Instructables article:

which may or may not be shilling for the industry.

But it looks interesting for home use - especially the 3-port + WAP wall boxes as in:

and the easier pulling/connecting - if the prices aren't too high.

But when I Google on the subject, very little comes up in the way of available retail-level equipment.

Is anybody familiar with this stuff?

Is this still an emerging technology in the context of retail/home LAN/ sales/use?

Or am I not Googling very well?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

There are a number of applications where fiber is useful or the only solution but ask yourself what problems it would solve for a home user. I can't think of any.

Reply to
George

We see periodic announcements of scientists and manufacturers coming up with fiber to chip interfaces. So far, none of them have become commercial. (AFAIK).

When they do break the cost barrier, a LOT of things will change. The bandwidth reaching your computer will be enormous.

Right now, FIOS terminates the fiber at the house. From then on everything is copper, the phone, the TV and your computer(s).

Especially for the computer, a computer attached directly to a fibre will be amazing.

Similarly for the TV, a short burst of data could put an hour long show into your TV.

Reply to
Dan Espen