Oile tank placment & painting

We have to move an oil tank and we are wondering what the minimum safe distance from the furnace should be.

Also, the tank has small spots of light surface rust - is it ok to clean/sand those spots and then paint them with say RustOlieum?

Reply to
jackson

Greetings,

a) Call your local code officer to ask the distance question. b) Yes, you can pait your tank, but I would go ahead and paint the entire thing when you move it with a good industrial oil-based paint.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

We have no code officer in our corner of the world. Guess that's a mixed blessing...? Any 'standard' safe distance for placement that we can use as a guideline?

Thank you

Reply to
jackson

how old is your oil tank? they frequently rust more from the inside out...

moving it may bring about leaking.

ask your oil supplier about safe distance....

Reply to
hallerb

You're more likely to be limited by the requirement for working room around the furnace than by safe set-back limits. If YOU can get between the two and work, the furnace isn't going to heat the tank enough to matter, and if the tank blows a seam or fills the basement with vapor, then no amount of distance is going to be enough. If you find that the tank is warm to the touch when the furnace runs, just shove a panel of gypsum board between them.

-Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

FYI -

After getting 3 opinions from different heating contractors they all stated the required set back is five feet. One even said that when the tank is reconnected and new fill pipe is sticking out the oil delivery guy will want to inspect the installation prior to the first fill.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Cheers!

Reply to
jackson