Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

On 3/16/2017 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

WAAAAAAAA! If they're scared away by stuff they don't like, then they shouldn't be venturing out into the real world.

egads ... if Trumpets scare you so much, you should go hide in your safe place and suck your thumb.

I raised my kids already, so if you want to be coddled find someone who needs to mommy you.
--
Maggie

On 3/16/2017 11:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

...and you obviously have no problem contributing to that cesspool with your whining tripe.

But you also love to bitch in opposition to Trump supporters.
Hypocrisy.
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 1:04:01 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:

No, it's not hypocrisy, because I'm not STARTING these 25 political, pro-Trump threads everyday. If there were 10 AHR threads and a couple of OT political ones, no matter how many posts in those couple of political threads, when you come to AHR, it would look like a legitimate home repair newsgroup. When you have 25 or 50 political threads any new person would take one look, conclude it's not about homer repair, and move on. Open your eyes.
On 3/16/2017 1:11 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Seriously? Do you know how often I log on, click on this newsgroup and view all the subjects starting with just a few...
Re: Clapper said No collusion between trump campaign and Russia or Re: Keystone pipeline won't use US steel despite Trump pledge
or some which you do start such as....
OT: For the Trumpets who think Trump changed..... or how about OT: King Trump, the intellectual, on healthcare.
All displaying From: Trader_4
No, you're not the main culprit, but you are an addition to the cesspool.

+1
On 3/16/2017 11:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

Not really. It is supposed to be "home repair" not a lot of political crap. Yes, I'm guilty of replying to some of it too, but it is no longer a small aside, it has overwhelmed the main topic this group was founded for. That is not fine.

Many of the participants are cross posting from other groups. Let them stay in those groups as they are designated for politics.

The number or ON topic posts is dwindling. Take way the crap and there are fewer topic related postings than ever, especially since a few people invaded here. Many of the best contributors have gone away in the past year.

On 3/16/2017 10:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There's nothing we can do about spam, OT, or even political posts. It doesn't really change what other people do when we complain that they're doing something we don't like. It might even make them do it more because they get negative attention.
We CAN block the posts we don't want to see. I just block stuff as it shows up if it's something I don't want to read, like threads with foul language in the thread title, or usernames who are notorious spammers. That cuts out a lot of gunk.

I block cross-posts - never see them. Thunderbird does a good job of that. If you want to block cross-posts, I can tell you how I do it in Tbird.

I think many of them read and still post here, occasionally. People change. Some come and go, and some stay a while. The group if fluid. Block what you don't want to see, and you'll be more inspired to post more about what you do want to see.
--
Maggie

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:36:10 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Again the village idiot doesn't understand the difference between being able to do something about something and whether that something is OK, alright, decent, etc.
And as further proof that you're just another scumbag troll, just a few minutes ago you complained to me that I should do something about these posts, be a leader! Now you say that nothing can be done, proving as I said, that you just take opposite positions to create a big pissing match. Like that BS thread about lying the other day.
It

It got much worse here the day you arrived. You brought some of these scum bags with you. And some of them report that you've had similar results in other newsgroups in the past.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:46:55 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

I think this has been mentioned before, but why can't we create an alt.home.repair.moderated? All the moderators would need to do is allow any post that is even remotely on topic. Those who post political garbage or name calling would not be permitted. And my favorite - those who post links to news stories without even commenting (as though the rest of us are too stupid to watch the news) would also be blocked.
Pat
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:

I'd be in favor of it. Does anyone here have experience in how to go about doing it? We either stop having this massive abuse with one OT post after another or AHR is finished.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:15:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I'm in favor of it too.
I think I know someone with experience, though I'm out of town for a while and I took some stuff with me but not everything.
Plus there is a newsgroup (partially?) devoted to helping people do this. Maybe google can find it.
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:15:35 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Send an email to the folks that run Homeowners Hub. They know how to run a moderated forum.

On 3/16/2017 11:07 AM, Pat wrote:

Two moderated groups I belong to also have a paucity of posts. Most people today have gone over to Facebook or the twitterverse. I say leave it open and filter if you wish.
Do you volunteer? Do you realize the amount of work it is? The initial abuse you would face? Do some research you will find how time intensive it is. I can't do it because I'm not here every day so posts would back up and generate more clutter. Jus sayin...
I suggest ALL political rhetoric be not posted. There are other groups for that.
I don't know how to approach the Homemoaners hub group to use these groups without being banned.
Try to appeal to all Internet users about groups, I believe most users (in usage-not age) newer than 30 years don't even know about groups.
Try to snag them from Google Groups and coddle them to use a news reader.
YOU can ignore them or forward them to a political group you prefer.
Per HerHusband:

Give Quora.com a try.
- It includes a broad range of categories that the user can select on for their feed: one-stop shopping
- The loony/ad-hominem stuff seems to be pretty well held in check by it's Upvote/Downvote functionality and a couple of mechanisms for identifying the crazies to moderators.
--
Pete Cresswell

Just about everything I see on Quora strikes me as looney or adolescent or both.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

I have seen some pretty good discussions on healthcare from people who seem to know what they are talking about and back up their arguments with citations.... Unlike here where counter-argument tends to be more in the form of calling somebody a "Libtard".
--
Pete Cresswell

Google is your friend. Tells you that every other first world country has handled health care just fine. Better health care - and costing much less. America has too many rubes and crackers to get the job done. Have to wait until they die off, or "see the light."