Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

Hi Art,

I can relate. After years of reading usenet groups, all that seems to be left are political and religious arguments and name calling.
I can't remember the last time there were more than one or two serious discussions related to home repair in this group.
Several other groups I watch have been in similar decline.
It's sad, usenet was a convenient way to discuss a variety of topics without having to visit individual web forums. It takes too much time and hassle to visit and log in to each forum, so I tend not to visit most of the ones that do interest me.
It was good while it lasted...
On 3/16/2017 9:46 AM, HerHusband wrote:

Many interesting topics still are discussed here. At least most newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too, and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.
--
Maggie

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 10:59:48 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

"interesting topic" <> "interesting home repair topic"
At least most

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here. But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup. When someone new looks at this and sees 50 totally OT political threads and only one home repair one, they just move on. AHR is slowly dying and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.
On 3/16/2017 10:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Someone else said that this group was like people meeting up at the hardware store. At first they talk about the project they're working on, and then they start talking about other things that are on their minds. They're still at the hardware store and surrounded by a number of hardware store type topics, but they're also human and may want to talk about something else "interesting to them" while they're in the hardware store.

It's not just OK - it works just fine.

If I turn off my filters, the group is so plummeted with spam and undesirable posts I would probably just mark everything "read", but with the filters on I see the trees instead of the forest.
Why do people talk about 'death of a newsgroup' when we still have hundreds of posts here where people are participating because they WANT to, and that doesn't even count all the filtered out posts I block that other people still read and respond to?

The last week all I've seen are people talking about their projects with one or two side political posts, but that's because I FILTER out the stuff I'm not interested in.

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

There's nothing wrong with OT threads here. If you don't want to read them, either block them, or ignore them.
--
Maggie

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:38:58 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Except of course, as Art pointed out, that isn't what's happening anymore. The overwhelming number of new threads are totally off topic, mostly from a couple of Trumpets. It's 25 or 50 to one.
They're still at the hardware store and surrounded by a number

And what do you think a new poster, someone looking for help regarding to home repair sees? They don't have your filters, they see a bunch of garbage and move on, forget about posting.

Why is it that if someone said oceans cover most of the earth's surface or the moon orbits the earth, you'd start an argument disagreeing?

And what does someone new who shows up see? Follow it to it's logical conclusion. You have a dwindling number.

Well, there you have it. It's not dying, it's just changing into a cesspool for Trumpet posts.

Again, you just love to bitch, post the opposite of what everyone else here, except the trolls of course, sees happening.
On 3/16/2017 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Always blame someone else if you're not happy about something, right? NEVER, EVER go to the trouble of being a leader instead of a follower and do something about what you're unhappy about! geez.
I didn't want to see cross-posts or spammers, so instead of complaining about those posts showing up here, I decided to use my built-in tbird filter and block everything I didn't want to see!
OH MY FREAKING GOSH!! I'm not an unhappy camper any more seeing stuff I don't want to see!
It doesn't take an IT degree to figure out and use a tbird filter. That's what it's there for.
YOU can't control what OTHER people do, BUT you CAN control what you do, so get off of your fingers, download thunderbird, set up a server and newsgroups, figure out how to use the filters, and stop using google groups if you don't like to see OT posts here.
And BTW, you could stop contributing to the threads that are OT while you're at it.
good grief, already ......
--
Maggie

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:45:33 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Just stating the most obvious facts. Do you deny that the overwhelming number of new threads, the core of the pollution problem, is in fact a couple of Trump whackos starting one new political, usually Trump centered, post after another?
And then of course we have you, who will argue obvious facts that the rest of us see and know to be true, just to have something to argue about. Like that BS you started about "lying". Everyone else here was on the same page, that you were full of shit, just arguing to argue, as usual.

What do you suggest we do about it? How can I save AHR?

As I and others have explained to you, that doesn't fix the problem of the newsgroup dying. People who are not regulars here don't have filters. They have a question about home repair, see 50 threads about politics, and move on. It doesn't take much in the way of connected brain cells to see how the group then slowly dies. And it's not just AHR, most newsgroups are dying, many of them aided by whacko trolls.

The village idiot rides again! You're one of the newcomers who has only made things worse. Some of these trolls appear to have followed you here, they arrived at the same time. And you have a real penchant to argue over the most basic facts, like above, where you want to argue the obvious, that it's a couple of Trump trolls creating all these totally OT, political threads. And for all your bitching and pontificating, I rarely see you contributing to a real home repair question.
On 3/16/2017 12:00 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I don't see the majority of threads from "whackos" because I've got the "whackos" blocked!

If you don't like something I've said, ignore it. Who is forcing ANYONE to respond to anything I post? So, if someone is "arguing with me", it's because they WANT TO!

Download thunderbird, set up newsgroups and filters, and then enjoy reading and responding to the post you want to see.
Simple!

The newsgroup is NOT dying! It may change, but people are still posting here, so it obviously isn't dead.

Oh well, who's fault is that?

What's stopping them from posting their question? Themselves.

We will NEVER be rid of whacko trolls, so, the solution is to ignore them.

I've been here probably a couple of years, now. So, that's not exactly a new comer.

I wouldn't know because I've blocked everyone I consider to be a troll, all cross-posters, and various other criteria I don't want to bother reading.
--
Maggie

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 2:50:46 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Then take off the filters for 5 mins and see what someone new or someone who only comes here rarely, ie those without filters sees. THAT is the problem. Someone who is new sees 50 BS posts and figures it's useless. The fact that you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there, capiche?

Again, you're the only one here who doesn't see how that doesn't solve the problem of a newsgroup dying from pollution.

Again, more BS denial. As Art pointed out, the number of on topic, AHR threads is dwindling, the number of BS mostly pro-Trump threads is 20 times the number of legitimate ones.

It's no one's fault, idiot. Obviously someone who has a question, comes here for the first time, isn't going to have filters set. Nor are they going to spend the time to figure out which posters are the source of the problem, set filters, etc. They just see a big, hot BS mess and move on. THAT is why it's killing the newsgroup.

What's stopping them is that they don't see AHR threads, they see an overwhelming number of political threads, most of them pro-Trump, anti liberal, BS ones. Back to the paint store analogy, if you went into a paint store and instead of paint you saw mostly kids toys, junk auto parts, etc, would you spend the time to figure out what's going on or would you just leave? Good grief!

You're one, so I guess you would know.

More BS. If you blocked them, then you know that they are trolls and whether or not they followed you from other newsgroups. I've seen several posters claim you were driven out of some newsgroup called "scorched.earth.politics" or similar. Sounds exactly like a place you, BJT, the colonel, and some of the others would be right at home in.
On 3/16/2017 6:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:

That's a stupid idea. I'm quite happy with my filters.

There's nothing you or anyone else can do about what other people post here. At best, all you can do is set up filters.

Why are you worried about newcomers if you believe this ng is dying?
Look ... people are going to do what they do regardless of what you shout from the rooftops isn't fair, or right, or on topic. Why waste your energy trying to make other people do or not do what you think they should do, or shouldn't do?
[...]

YOU can't solve that problem. If people want to post here about home repair stuff - they will regardless of junk posts. If they don't want to do that, they won't.
You can't control anything about this group and complaining about it all the time doesn't change anything.

Maybe it's winter and people just don't have as many projects to talk about? It's not about how many on topic discussions happen here, it's about people talking about what they choose to discuss - some on topic, and some off topic. You can't control it.
[...]
--
Maggie

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:20:00 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

ROFL. That's a good example of why you're the village idiot and why you just argue stupid shit for the sake of arguing. The issue with newcomers not posting, not following because the NG is full of pro-Trump, right wing garbage threads is obviously because without newcomers, newsgroups die.

Why do you waster your time here bitching? Once in a blue moon you have something relevant to say about home repair, but 99% is just stupid BS arguing. Like the other day, trying to excuse Trump's lying and arguing there is no difference about a president lying about matters of national substance and someone lying to their mother-in-law about liking the turkey they cooked. Idiot!

Yet a few posts ago, you said I should be a leader and do something about it. Another fine example of how you blow in the wind, just flip and flop, just to argue, deny the obvious and stir up trouble.
If people want to post here about home

Go fuck yourself. How about that?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...
<snip>

<more snipping>
You really should be asking yourself that question.
--
RonNNN

So you filter all the home repair stuff and only read the off-topic stuff?
Now you are in my filter too - thwere hasn't been a sylable, much less a sentance of home repair messages from you since about November.
On 3/16/2017 3:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No ... I read most of the home repair stuff because I don't know how to do most of it, and I learn from what others post. Some things I don't really understand like all the discussions about electricity and wiring things, but I still try to read some of those, too.
I also read some of the OT threads. Some, I respond to, many I don't respond to.

others repair. I have asked different questions about projects I've had around the house while I've been here, but since it's winter, I hadn't had any projects going that I needed to ask any questions about.
--
Maggie

YOU are many more of the regulars on alt.home.repair are the ones responsible tor the destruction of this NG. And *YOU* are one of the worst. The reason is that you and these others continue to post replies to the politics and other OT crap on here. Why even bother to killfile if you keep these posts going. If everyone here who comes here for the RIGHT reason, filtered out the abusers, and NEVER replied to ANYTHING they post, they would have gone away by now. Everytime you post a followup to their garbage, YOU are FEEDING THEM.
If you go to a party and no one there talks to you, or lets you have any food or drink, you wont go back to that party. Think about that!
I used this NG going back to the 90's. I have given up on it, because even though I filtered all the abusers, you regulars keep feeding them and thus flooding this group with shit. Most of the time I come here now, the nerw posts are either OT crap, or replies to Homeownershub crap. Most of the time I just delete all the posts and leave. In the past month, I only read about 5 posts on here that were ON topic and Current, (not old shit from the hub). It's not evne worth my time to open this group anymore...
And think about this: If an outsider comes to this group to ask about an ON topic issue, and sees the headers, they wont evne post. They will just see a group filled with rubbish and leave.
I have nothing further to say. The current status of this group disgusts me! This group is nothing but a pile of rubbish now, and serves no purpose whatsoever.
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 8:59:57 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@alt.home.repair

+1
Exactly what I said. Of course the village idiot Muggles denies that and says it's perfectly fine to flood a newsgroup with mostly OT right wing political posts. I do respond to some of them, but I rarely start a new thread. It's the overwhelming number of new, pollution threads that newcomers will see that's a problem. It doesn't look like AHR, it doesn't look like a serious place for an answer on home repair, it looks like a right wing political junk yard.
Thanks for heads up. So the crap covered bovine is still here and complaining about himself! What a laugh!
Keep your powder dry...
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 4:19:22 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

+1

On the plumbing topic. The last original plumbing fixture in out 40+ year old house was the tub set - an old EMCO with a pull diverter - taps on 8 incg centers - used the old 1157 integrated cartridges. The cold tap was getting stiff - and one (not sure which one) occaisionally dripped when shut off. I got a pair of replacements from "home plumber" and proceded to change them. Instead of the 3/4 turn the originals turned from full on to full off, these only turned 1/4 turn - and when I turned the water back on I could not shut off the water. Upon investigation I found the lip around where the cold cartridge fit had cracked - so new cartridges were NOT going to be the answer. The tub has a fiberglass one piece surround - NO WAY was I going in from the front!!. On the backside of the tub wall is a linen closet with 4 removeable shelves, sitting on 1X4 cleats. I cut a hole between the bottom 2 shelves to expose the tap set from behind. I found the original plumber was a bit smarter than the average bear - he had installed the tap-set with threaded unions on both inlets as well as on the shower riser- so removing the "carcass" wasn't going to be a problem. I spent 4 hours checking all my local suppliers for a relacement 8" 3 handle set to use as a replacement o there were 4 holes in the fiberglass surround that I needed to fill!! Glenbriar Home Hardware had a set available - but not in stock - 2 week order time - $375 for the trim set, plus the rough-in kit. Marks Supply (the wholesaler) didn't have it in stock either - Home Despot didn't have anything remotely close - most 8 inch sets used the diverter on the tub spout - leaving an empty hole and a diverter that ALWAYS leaks. I finally found a Danze set at Canadian Tire for $165 with a twist handle diverter in the center. -all holes would be filled, and a "real" diverter.. It had big "unions" for the inlets, with 1/2 inch internal pipe threads. I had already picked up 3 brass unions from Home Despot and a couple copper pipe caps so I could turn the water back on overnight - no way I was finishing the job that night. I unsoldered the copper pipes from the old set and capped them, re-using the old unions because the new ones wouldn't fit the old ones (what else is new?) Next afternoon I took the measurements I took from the old set before unsoldering the pipes, and figured out where I had to cut the old pipes to get the right length to make the new set fit without having to unsolder / resolder the pipes inside the wall. I needed 1/2 inch male pipe to 1/2" copper female fittings the thread into the unions on the taps as well as th thread into the shower output - no brass available - only the shitty new copper parts with nasty threads. I also picked up 1/2" brass pipe nipples in various lengths and an elbow for the spout piping.- Home Despot didn't have a 4 inch nipple - and it ended up that was ONE of the sizes I needed. (ended up making another trip to Glenbriar Home Hardware to get that). I got everything all fitted up and soldered, and used teflon pipe thread sealer on all the threaded fittings - put it all in (had to chisel a slot in both studs for clearance for the unions on the tap) and turned on the water - and wouldn't you know I had one leak. I pulled the short piece between the two unions on the hot side and resoldered all the joints - they seamed OK - and put tape on the thread instead of compound - re-installed it and went to bed. In the morning there was a puddle on the kitchen stove and counter - I went up to the tub, and wouldn't you know it, the theaded joint on the hoy side has a little drip on it -the compound hadn't done the job their either. I called into my morning contract to let them know I was going to be late and pulled the short section out of the hot side, taped the joint, and reinstalled it.
I finally has a dry install and went to work.
I then got a spring-mounted 15X15 access cover from Canadian Tire and cut it down to fit between the shelves. to close it up and finish the job. The fittings required to do the job added about $25 to the job.
snip

So you are sying the fiberglass repair guy did a better job than the contractor --- Mabee the fiberglass surround will outlast the house??