Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end. There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to make my brain somewhat happy.

Well, I'm here.
If I rented a new or nearly new small cheap Kia (a Picanto, maybe cheaper than anything sold in the US) and 10" below the radio in a separate cove just in front of the gear shift, there is a small hole marked AUX and a USB style jack marked USB, what are the odds the AUX will be an input to the radio?
What are the odds the USB will be an input to the radio.
The radio here is not my taste, and I refuse to spend the money for Serious radio since I'm a light-hearted guy, but I would record off the comptuer to a flashdrive, or use the phone to output to the radio, if either were possible.
On 3/16/2017 8:52 AM, Micky wrote:

The USB in my car takes a flash drive for music. Very common these days, as is plugging in a phone or iPod.

My 2016 KIA Sorento takes thumb drives formatted in FAT32. I am using a 128g drive with over 7000 mp3's on it. When inserted the first time, the radio reads it in, which takes several minutes depending on number of songs. After that, as soon as I open the car door I see the USB activity light come on, and the music is ready to play as soon as the key is turned on.
If your radio has a selection for "media," that is what you want. Mine allows for selection of songs by singer, album, genre, etc. (based on MP3 tags), or play all in order or randomly.
-dan z-
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:31:05 -0400, slate_leeper

I didn't mean to start the sentence with "If". I really did rent one. It's not a secret.

That sounds great.
What gave me doubts is that the jack is 10 inches away instead of on the face of the radio, like I've seen twice before.

It has a media button. I tried it and nothing was there. I guess that's my fault.
Maybe I can find something to record tonight. On my last trip, I recorded not call-in talk, but semi-expert-talk about politics and the nation, like the Diane Rehm show, but I don't enjoy hearing about that anymore. Maybe I can find the audio version of the History Channel. Last time, I only used an MP3 player. The car will be much easier and better.

Thanks Dan and Ed. Oren, I have to wait on the video a bit. My Firefox is frozen but this is the first time in 6 days so for me that's pretty good. Soon it will crash and then things will be good again.

I'm betting on usb charging only. My Kia has it near the cig-lighter charging sockets, not near the radio. John T.

DOH ! .. good thing that I'm not a betting man. I just checked my owners manual and apparently the usb socket is indeed an audio input - it's beside the aux audio input jack - that I never noticed .. The manual warns to have the usb device removed when starting the car - not sure how serious a risk it is or just ass-covering. John T.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:14:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Definitely "ass covering" - but there is always the risk of a voltage surge when starting that COULD kill your device.. Just like removing a USB stick from your computer without "ejecting" the media first.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:14:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me. After my mini-high when I thought it would work, I had a mini-low when a Kia-owner said it didn't.
So we both came out ahead on this one.

Now to load up a flash drive with MP3's and try it out. I wonder if the radio will read a flash drive and provide some player functionality ? or do I need a MP3 Player ? John T.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:20:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Works fine on my daughter's Hyundai Elantra - and on the aftermarket head I installed in my Ranger. You can NOT use "folders" though - all MP#s have to be in the "root" of the drive!!!!
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:27:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's interesting. I had a $4 device that could use folders.
Most or all of these things have buttons to go back to the previous track or to skip to the next track. With this little thing that plugged into the cigarette lighter and transmitted to the radio a foot away, when I turned off the car, it would restart at the start of the current song.
That was fine for songs, but I would listen to 50 minute news shows, like Talk of the Nation or Diane Rehm. So I'd have heard 30 minutes, and when I turned the car off and on, it would start at the beginning again.
So I dl'd some free file splitters and all would have worked but one was especially good. It split files into segments of whatever length one chose -- I chose 3 minutes, or the byte-equivalent -- and named each segment in sequence complete with .mp3. When I played the flash drive, it would go from one file to the next without a trace. Not even a little click. And when I turned the car off, it woudl start on average 90 seconds back.
I couldn't find my own so I ordered a new somewhat nicer one for about $6. Ordered it too late so shipped to my vacation landlady.
On 3/16/2017 1:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I'd take that bet. On one car (Hyundai) it was inside the armrest, on the other two it was where yours is, but still connected to the radio.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:01:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

The Kia Radios are virtually all MP3 enabled today - and that means the USB IS an MP3 compatible input, not just a charging port. There is no other way (other than a CD) to inout MP3 to the radio..
The location doesn't mean a thing - lots of cars have the AUX and USB ports in the compartment in the arm-rest/console because that is a good place to put your phone/MP# player. Just like the little "bubby" below the radio on the KIA.

Excellent odds, as that is what it is provided for. But you don't even need your phone. Just download to a USB stick, and plug it into the USB port. It is an MP3 player.

As the man wrote: "..nothing but garbage.."
On 03/16/2017 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Well, FWIW, I have not been creating anymore political posts, but if I see one already started I often add some useless comments.
I was going to post a Home Repair question but thought it too trivial, but perhaps it's better than posting political garbage.
I have seen that GE now has a silicon adhesive called Iron Grip that they claim is better than just using their silicon sealer.
I've never had a problem with "RTV" when used as an adhesive

No that's good to know. I took silicone sealers as mostly space fillers with some adhesion. I don't remember every needing great adhesion, but now t hat there's a product, I'm sure I'll need it.
I haven't seen this yet in the stores... We used to use the regular stuff on the apparatus and it worked very well. Beat drilling holes through the sheet metal and then have to try to rustproof the hole. I wonder what the new stuff does the old stuff doesn't...

WHAT??????