New service panel

The 150 AMP circuit breaker panel in my house is extremely crowded but I need to add new circuits and I'm trying to decide the most practical way to do this. I recently took out an electric heat pump so I have a 60 AMP double-pole breaker space available. Rather than replacing the old box would it be acceptable, legal, and safe (per code) to run a new service panel off of that breaker space and run the new circuits off the new box? TIA

Reply to
Gary Vocks

This is Turtle.

1) It all the service / electricity comes through the old box first and then to the new box. You will be OK. Now you can not exceed the limit of the 150 amp old service box with everything running at one time or what is call real load of home. You can not pull more than 80% of the old boxes breaker ability. 2) the 60 amp that was remove , i take it that it will not exceed the limit of the original box can be used for a extended service box to run service from. Also wire should be rated to match all breakers and loads no matter what the story is. 3) The new box should not exceed 80% of the breaker used in the old service box to supply the new service box. 4) Check with your local city / area inspector for regulation as to proforming this work. Anything that they say will over ride what ever I have said here. The city code or the NEC code will over ride me , you, or anybody else. 5) The biggest thing here is not over loading the old service box or the new serice box and in your case. The 150 amp original service box will only carry but 80% of the 150 amps so you can not exceed 120 amps of real load for everything. 6) What your looking at doing here is done all the time but it is all ways nicer to have a new service box installed to be real nice , but this is not all a nice world.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
Mike Hunt

Why not?

Yes. Just connect it up with 60a wire, 3 wire with ground, and in the ne sub box, make sure the neutral and ground bars are separate and isolated.

Reply to
Gary Tait

While yes, you should perform a service load calculation, if you have a 150A main breaker you really can't overload the service. If you have more than one main, you must perform a service demand load for those breakers. If you keep tripping a 150A main, then you need to upgrade, and you may eventually damage you main breaker.

The service demand load calculations make certain assumptions. If you know you're using things at a much lower level than the calculations assume, you may be just fine if you're pushing the 150A limit.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue