New Propane Torches are junk

Years ago I had several propane torches and although I dont use them often, they lasted years. Eventually they just would not light anymore.

Several years ago I bought a BernzOmatic propane torch (not with ignitor). Within a year that one would no longer light. I was lucky if I got 2 hours use total.

Last week I bought a Worthington torch with self ignitor. I tried it when I got home and it worked. I used it yesterday to ignite my wood stove. Today I was lighting a brush pile and it was working, all of a sudden the flame got small, then turned orange and went out. It will not light anymore. No gas comes out of it when the valve is turned on. (there is lots of gas left in the tank). I tried another tank just to be sure, and the torch is just dead. Apparently the valve is not opening, yet it turns. I probably got about 7 or 8 minutes of use from this torch.

Needless to say, it's going back to the store, and for a refund. If this is how crappy they are made, they can keep it.

The problem is: does anyone make a torch that will last at least a reasonable time? I thought BernzOmatic was one of the top brands, but I guess not. And this Worthington is even worse. I dont care if it has the built in lighter or not, I just want a torch that's reliable and lasts at least a few years.

Is there any other brand to buy, that makes something that will last?

Reply to
jw

Bernzo made a torch some what like this:

've seen them at Lowes and home Depot. Mine was $40, some years ago. Came with a bottle of Mapp gas. The flame is not adjustable. They have a gooder one for about $65 which has adjustable flame. I've had mine for years, and been very pleased. The torch is "self lighting" which is nice. I've also done small silver solder or stick brazing with mapp gas, but air acetylene does a better job for brazing.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

You just responded to a troll from AIOE...

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

Only takes a tiny bit of debris to clog the orifice. Coulda been dirt in the fitting on the tank. You do keep the tops covered in storage don't you? Anyway, probably not the torch's fault.

Reply to
mike

What's AIOE, and how does one tell?

.

You just responded to a troll from AIOE...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Get one of these. You won't have any problem with a flame!

I bought one to kill some weeds along a brick walkway in my yard. I spent some time having fun, burning weeds, etc.

A few days later SWMBO asked me if I had dumped anything in her garden. "No, why?" She pointed to some plants whose big broad (like 8" wide) leafs had turned yellow and were beginning to curl. "They've never done that before, so I was wondering if you had done something that would have made them do that."

At first I said "No", then a couple of hours later I remembered that I had torched some weeds about 3 feet from those plants. It must have been the "over spray" from the torch that heated up those big leaves and dried them out enough to damage them.

I mentioned it to SWMBO so she didn't spend anytime trying to diagnose the problem and promised to be a little more careful next time. She thought the whole idea was silly from the start, but she knows that a man has got to have his toys.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote the following:

My ?? years old Bernzomatic TS4000 still works first time, every time.

Reply to
willshak

It's a usenet server, and happens to be the usenet server I use.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

My Bernz-o-matic TS4000 has been entirely reliable for at least 10 years.

Reply to
Pete C.

TurboTorch

Reply to
Bubba

The only mapp gas torch trouble I had was when some kind of fusking insect would pack the torch tip full of mud. I was always able to dig the mud out with a small wire though.

Reply to
Betelgeuse

Personally I don't use propane anymore anyway... doesn't get hot enough for the new lead-free solder on 1/2" or 3/4" plumbing pipe. I've had a Bernzo MAPP torch for a couple years now and while it spends more time kicking around the bottom of a drawer than being used, I just used it successfully for a lot of plumbing soldering a couple months ago and it worked fine.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Mine won't stay lit when it's cold - but by cold I mean double digits with a minus sign in front of them :-) Other than that, it's been fine.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

"Nate Nagel" wrote

I buy propane new in sealed two packs at yard sales. Have about eight right now, as I hit a sale last week. $2 for a two pack. I use them to start fires in the fireplace, for starting leaf piles, and general heating and a burning where MAPP temperatures are needed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"where MAPP temperatures are NOT needed."

Reply to
Steve B

leaf burning is illegal in PA, at least in allegheny county

Reply to
bob haller

Also most of the Chicago and suburbs area.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Also most of the Chicago and suburbs area.

We have "seasons" here. Usually before they can dispatch someone to the scene, you're done. And so much burning goes on, that within sight of my house, I can point out 2 to 6 others who are burning illegally.

Most of the time, they never show up. I guess Winchell's is having another special this month.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It's illegal in a lot of places, but in rural areas when it takes 20 minutes or more for the State Police to investigate, they don't even bother. Even the local authorities don't bother unless it is contractor burning, which requires a permit. I burn in a 3' x 3' fire pit in my back yard next to the woods, but I have a rake, shovel and charged garden hose at hand. I prefer to burn after a rain or when snow is on the ground, but I have burned when both those conditions were absent. I don't burn trash, leaves, paper or cardboard, just twigs and cut up branches that are constantly breaking off the trees. They are left in a pile for a year before burning. All paper and cardboard goes into the recycle can for the weekly garbage pick up. Leaves and grass clippings go in the compost heap.

Reply to
willshak