Need to Use Plunger on 1.6 gal Toilet Every 3-4 days.

The toilet clogs every 3-4 days and I clear it with a plunger and then it works for another 3-4 days. I just increased the amount of water in each flush by moving the float on the flapper chain closer to the flapper. Should that take care of it?

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Temporary fix at best. You have to find the real problem, possibly a partial clog at some point. You may need a pro to run a snake down there as the problem may be 20 or 50 feet down the drain pipe. Don't wait too long as one day the plunger may not work when you need it the most.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

New toilet or new problem?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What will it take?....

thekmanrocks

Drop one turd, Squeeze and Hold

FLUSH

Drop next turd, Squeeze and Hold

FLUSH

Drop third turd, Squeeze and Hold

FLUSH

..... and so on ............

Do the same with toilet paper. One foot of TP,

FLUSH

Another foot

FLUSH

etc....

(Or just toss the TP into a waste basket!)

Reply to
Paintedcow

I once had a toilet that acted the same way. I plunged and snaked and it still clogged Intermittently. I eventually pulled the toilet and found a toilet paper roll lodged inside the toilet, pointed straight down. (Damn kids!)

Paper would intermittently get caught on the lip. The snake would just pass through the roll but never move it.

It might be time to pull the toilet. It's a pretty simple process.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

if solids dont go down, and if toilet water tends to swirl around but no go down..

google acid treatment.

muriatic acid clean interior water passages.

Reply to
bob haller

But first try this simple test. It's the standard way to diagnose if a sluggish toilet is caused by mineral build-up under the rim:

Pour a bucket of water into the bowl. If the flush rate is normal, then water isn't entering the bowl fast enough via the holes under the rim. Toilets need a fairly rapid introduction of water to start the siphoning action. Clogged passages slow the entry of the water enough to prevent the full strength siphoning.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This is a key question. I had 2 new toilets installed in 2000. I have been having similar problems with both (upstairs and downstairs) ever since then. No Kids, don't flush odd stuff.

As far as I can tell, my problem is related to the design of the toilet. If your problem started when the toilet was new, then your only choices may be (A) new toilet, or (B) eat less roughage! (I'm serious.)

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

1.6 gallon toilet installed 1999. The problem has been going on for the last couple of years but has slowly been increasing in frequency. I adjusted the flapper float to being a lot closer to the flapper instead of being 4 inches up the chain. That has increased the amount of water in each flush and so far (last two days) there has been no need to use a plunger. I guess it will take a week or two to know if that really fixed the problem.
Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Do you see any lime or other sediment in the toilet, specifically in the bottom of the bowl?

Also, using a small hand mirror, examine the small holes all around the underside of the rim, take note if any of the holes appear to be clogged, you will probably need to use a small flashlight with the mirror.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Holy shit, and actual ON TOPIC post on alt.home.repair. Is it still November 9, 2016? Maybe the election never happened at it was just a bad dream....

If your toilet was installed in 1999, it's OBSOLETE. It's probably running Windows 95 or 98 at the newest. Your operating system is too old, your processor lacks power, your RAM is too low, and the space on your system is too small for the heavy load you are feeding it. REPLACE IT! That will solve your problem.

Seriously, if the holes under the rim are clogged with lime, you might have to run some acid thru the tank to dissolve it. But at the same time, those early water saving toilets were often poorly designed and had constant issues. I had one of them, and I did everything to fix it, including snaking it, using the acid, removing it and carefully inspecting the entire toilet, piping, and seal. Nothing fixed it. I replaced it and no longer have that problem. The newer water saving toilets are made better.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I agree. If the problem returns, try removing the toilet and looking to see if something is partially blocking things right at or in the toilet plumbing.

Or, try getting a toilet auger like the one below and use that to clear the clog instead of just a plunger.

JayTKR

My toilet auger went straight through the toilet paper roll that was stuck in my toilet. Never touched it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's not a given that it'll work. Still worth a try.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Flush after every use, don't wait 3-4 days to flush!

Reply to
Kyle

Ha! Ha!

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

I think it should be noted that overall water comsumption has gone UP as more so-called low-flush toilets have come into use. Due very likely to need for 'double-flushes'.

Such 'green' measures as low-flush toilets and Daylight Saving Time actually INCREASE consumption of resources and thus profits to providers of such resources.

Just Something To Think About...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I had this with a (very) old toilet, and out of frustration I replaced it. I then discovered a thick, longish wad of accumulated toilet tissue in the s-bend of the old toilet. Looked like it floated back and forth during a flush, but never exited the bend. After that, I bought a toilet auger, which does a much better job of clearing a toilet blockage than a conventional plunger.

For the past many (10+) years, there's been a problem with several of the major ultrasoft or ultrathick brands of toilet paper blocking toilets. It's a common complaint. The stuff is designed to be sturdier and softer, and it just doesn't break up and dissolve in the water the way standard t.p. does. So if you use that type of t.p., switch to a package of conventional toilet paper and see if that helps - Costco's Kirkland brand and Scott toilet tissue are two of the recommended brands. That is often the only fix needed.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

In Minnesota, water consumption has actually decreased while the number of households has increased. The usage rate the past few years is as low as it was in the mid-1980s, even with a substantial increase in population.

It's way past time to put the low-flow toilet old wive's tale to rest. Yes, the initial models performed poorly, but the manufacturers learned from that and significantly improved their products. Instead of pointing the finger at the low-flush toilet, look into what's being flushed down it - so-called flushable wipes will cause blockages, as can the thicker, premium-type toilet tissue. As can kleenex. All of those are engineered to not fall apart easily, so they can and often do cause problems.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

And, if there is only one vent stack, won't it be sized for the toilet (3"?)?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bishop