Need help installing a ceiling fan

I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. The fan is not new. It has 4 wires:

Black White Blue Bare Copper

The ceiling wiring is old. There is a white wire and a yellowish wire that completed the circuit in the old fixture.

I figure the white goes to the white and the yellowish goes to the black. But where do the blue and the bare wires go? There doesn't seem to be anything in the ceiling or the fan to serve as a ground.

Reply to
JerryF

Okay, I've solved the bare-wire issue. Let me revise my question:

Where does the blue wire go?

Reply to
JerryF

Blue wires are usually feed for the attached lamp. It appears that your 'yellowish' wire is a switched lamp feed. If your fan has integral pull chain switches, then the blue and black would go the ceiling hot wire. Tuck the bare copper out of the way and plan to upgrade your house wiring soon. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The blue wire is probably for a light. If you don't have a light kit installed leave it alone. If you do, then connect it to the black wire.

Reply to
Boden

The usual fan color code: Black - Hot to fan motor White - Neutral Blue - Hot to lights Bare - Ground

So, Black and Blue together to the hot wire in the box. White to the neutral wire in the box. Bare wire - ??? I really don't know what you do with a ground wire in an ungrounded box?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

The blue wire is for the light. If you only have two non-ground wires in the box, both the black and the blue go to the "hot" wire. The white goes to the neutral. You'll have to figure out which one is which.

If you have access from above, and you want the light to be able to be controlled independently from the fan by a wall switch (and the fan to be always hot and controlled only by the pull chain) you have some rewiring to do.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

de quoted text -

Awkward when someone who doesn't have clue about electricity starts asking about the "white wire and the yellowish wire"!

And doesn't know how to test the functions of the various wires even if we make a good guess, not having seen the actual situation and try to advise!

While I'd agree with the assumptions made so far by the other posters these are the sitautions that really worry!

Reply to
terry

Wrap it around a screw within the junction box.

Reply to
SBH

I presume you read the manual? I installed a ceiling fan, a while back. One wire powered the motor (and was hot all the time). Another wire was switched by a wall switch, and powered the lights. The blue wire may possibly be only for the lights.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

did you even bother reading the instruction that come with the fan??? Jeeeezze.... ceiling fans have had the same color coded wires forever, and they DO come with instructions.

Steve Barker DLT