Mouse prevention??

Got a crack in garage that my wife is convinced lets in dozens of mice every night (whatever) and wants it sealed. I have heard that putting steel wool in the crack, then expanding foam is the best solution.

Good idea?

Reply to
jackjohansson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) Got a crack in garage that my wife is convinced lets in dozens of mice :) every night (whatever) and wants it sealed. I have heard that putting :) steel wool in the crack, then expanding foam is the best solution. :) :) Good idea? :) :) Small mice can get into openings close to 1/4 of an inch. If you use steel wool make sure it is not where it will oxidize then create a rust stain on the structure. Expanding foam can be a real mess, especially with a small opening. If they wanted to, they probably could chew through it though they will more than likely move to an easier opening, and if they did chew into it you could see it easily. They can climb all the sidings except glass, though if the window ]is made of small panes they can use the frame work and glaze to climb. In garages the most common areas of entry will be either side of where the large door closes.

Reply to
Lar

I think the foam and some mouse traps are a good bet.

Reply to
borgunit

If you have a garage that has only one place that a mouse can get in, you have the only one in the WORLD that is that well built.

I would suggest that you get traps and keep them out. I prefer the glue traps because you can just leave them out, and don't have to check and reset them all the time. They are cheap, and you don't have to touch the disgusting little darlings.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A D-Con bait container is also quite effective.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not at all. They'll chew the foam to bits in a matter of minutes, and shred the steel wool overnight. Use mortar.

And mousetraps. I prefer a standard spring trap, baited with a single raisin firmly squashed onto the bait bar. No way a mouse can get it off without springing the trap.

Doug Miller

I like that 'snap' sound when they are caught in a trap. ;) It also gives you an indication of when they are active in areas that are trapped. I have caught most during daylight. this surprised me because like the wife I thought they would sneek in at nite. That shows just how sneakey they are!

Reply to
notspike

Think cat. You can borrow one.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sprinkle red cayenne pepper generously around areas where activity is suspected. They won't want to nest nor eat in the hot zone.

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
Beeper

We are here for you.

"Rent a Cat, Inc." We'll rent you a cat by the day, the week, the month or longer. Only $25 per day, or $100 per week (feed is extra). All of our cats are guaranteed to eat mice. You have your choice of colors and you can choose a male or female. Rent the cat for an entire year, and we'll give you a bonus price. Contract and references required.

Simply call 1-800-RENTCAT

Reply to
rentacat

you didnt say what your garage was made of, but if its concrete block ,how bout some cement to fill the hole?? i might use foam if its wood, and maybe some galvanized sheetmetal tacked ove the hole..gemplers.com has mouse bait in 5 gallon buckets that can keeop the mice down.lucas

Reply to
ds549

Are there any protection clauses? What if one of your male cats has a lapse of morals and fathers some little mousers in the neighborhood? What if one of your female cats gets pregnant on the job and has six kittens? Does the rate increase for the additional staff?

How can I be sure I am renting an ethical moral security agent? Do they come with background checks?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

You want ethics from something that loves to kill? ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

I think you're confusing ethics and morality.

Reply to
Goedjn

I was thinking about a rat snake.

Reply to
Bob S.

Our 100 year old house had a very stable mice community when we moved in. I tried all kinds of things to eliminate those beady eyed, whisker twitching varmints. I also have allergies, so looked into natural type repellents. I found out mice (and fleas) don't like peppermint. At first, I got essential peppermint oil and sprayed where I knew they traveled and hid. IT WORKED!! and made the house smell nice. very invigorating. Then I bought cheap peppermint candy in the cellophane (I Left cellophane on) and threw it around, behind furniture, behind refridgerator and stove (very important places (BUT that's another story) Haven't seen a mouse since.

Reply to
D i a n e .