Maximum Span for Shed, without supporting posts??

original post hasn't appeared on my newsserver yet, so I'll reply to the reply ...

I whipped out my old building code (NZ, 1981) and they reckon for floor joists that for

joist spacing 400mm (~16 inches) 450 mm(18 inches) 600mm (2') size 9x2 4.3m (~14') 4.1m (~13'8") 3.7m (~12'4")

10x2 4.8m 4.6m 4.15m 12x2 5.75m (~19') 5.5m 5.0m

this is for a 1.5kPa floor loading. If the joists cover two or more spans, you can add 10% to the span. Huh, I want anybody to come up with a truckload of 42' long 12x2. (actually, the table starts with 4x2 joists spanning 5' at 2' centres, so that note is not entirely irrelevant).

So you can see that going on these numbers, the shed you looked at was quite sturdily built.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I suppose the answer to my question then is 32 feet.

--James--

Reply to
James

For 2x10s? Fat chance of that. Not if you wanted to put anything on them. You'll also not likely find 32 foot 2x10s commercially available. And if they were, they would be Hell to handle and get in place.

Well then, I suppose the answer to my question is 17.432 feet.

--James--