Material for Shop Walls ?

I own a small motorcycle repair business and I am building a new shop. I was wondering what to use for the walls ? I am thinking plywood,drywall or something else. I heard that there is a type of drywall for like bathrooms or shower stalls, is this correct ? I a am afraid normal drywall would be too brittle and would absorb moisture. Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

There is a board for moist areas. Any drywall or home supply outlet will have it. As for the plywood, it may not meet building code unless there is drywall under it. In a shop, plywood is nice in that you have one very large tool board.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A good thickness of drywall will also let you hang "stuff". Good forbid but if there is a fire, the wall board will definitely keep in one one side or the other for a hour.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Do you recall what this board is called and an approx. price per sheet ? Also what do I have to cover it with to keep it from absorbing and liquid that gets on it ? Do I have to paint it or seal it ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

There's "greenboard", which is your basic drywall with a water resistant paper. Better than regular drywall for the occasional splash, but will break down under continuous wet just like standard drywall.

There is also concrete board (Durock / Wonderboard). It'll handle water a lot better than greenboard or regular drywall (it's the backing material of choice in tiled showers and such).

What sort of water problems do you anticipate? Shoot, most garages are just done up with 3/4" drywall. Why would this "shop" have larger moisture problems than a garden-variety garage?

Reply to
Andy Hill

Ever thought of putting sheet metal over the drywall? A buddy did his shop that way. Easy to clean and if you use grease pencil you can wipe off the notes you put on the wall.

Better check with your zoning agency. A shop could have fire regulations in you area that we are not aware of.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Iowa883