How did you reach that conclusion? I've seen MANY chargers with lights that
go off that are DUMB chargers. A typical older, that's all I ever get,
garden appliance or tool has a thermal cutout that opens when the battery
gets HOT. the charger remembers that it happened. Ignoring all the bad
stuff about that...I've had several occasions
where the battery was ruined when the power glitched and the charger
"forgot" and decided to fast charge a fully charged battery until it got
to open the cutout. Unfortunately, it vented first.
Me: "so it must be a Smart Charger, right?
You: "How did you reach that conclusion?"
Didja notice the question mark after "right"?
It wasn't so much a conclusion as an assumption that I wanted verified
- thus the question mark.
B&D has a history of telling everyone that keeping tools in chargers
wont hurt batteries, start back with the dustbuster that always kept
charging the battery, and all died quickly. You have to test the
batterys condition to know if it stops charging, one indication it
doesnt is if it keeps the battery warm but a voltmeter is better, if
each 1.2v cell is kept peaked at 1.3-1.35v then its cooking the
batteries to an early death. I dont trust chargers until I test them,
Voltage peaking chargers are the most accurate but temperature is also
used and those sensors can be wrong. My Ryobi charger is not top line
it over charges, my old makita and sony do not. To be safe I would not
keep a battery in any charger as well the charger will be a constant
cost if left plugged in. Id say test voltage and temp but unplug to be
safe and save electricity. Tool companies make more money by selling
you a new battery every 3-4 years, but by taking care of my packs I
have 15-18 yr old Makita packs that can still run some screws. This
"leave in the charger its ok" statement is risky and I feel its wrong
If you are not using something, put it away. You don't have to follow
their recommendations. Leave it in the charger if you prefer. They just
wouldn't want your battery charger on if you got sick and went to the
nursing home for the rest of your life with the battery charging all the
while. It could short out and start a fire after a few years.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.