Leaking Kitchenaid Washer

Our older Kitchenaid washer is beginning to leak. Both hot and cold water hoses appear to be sound, as does the drain hose. The leak occurs when the washer is filling, and water flows from the bottom of the washer. I was able to tip the washer during one of these leaks and observed the majority of the leakage coming from the middle of the bottom of the washer.

Additionally - and maybe its my imagination - the washer seems to be spinning louder than ever.

Any ideas what this is? If so, is it repairable? Do I bother calling a serviceman out, or considering it's age, just buy a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
AuralFeast

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

Pumps, fill valves, hoses, hose clamps are common leaking trouble makers....but you can't really ID yet where the water is comming from....maybe the soap or water has left a water trail/stain to help point towards the trouble maker?

Everything is repairable! Comes down to the cost of the repair/parts and the condition of the rest of the washer.

I'd never buy a new one without at leats knowing what is involved in repairing the old one first.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi Bob,

The most common leak I see from these very reliable washers is the pump. It's located bottom front, and you'll usually see water leaking from behind it, out the shaft seal.

Most use pump part number 3363394, but there is another # in use too. Let me know if you'd like an instruction sheet on its replacement. Just getting these articles posted to a website we're working on, and I'll be glad to email it to you. But I'll need the model number to be certain we're on the same page.

You can see a pic of this pump in my Ebay store here:

(if the link doesn't work, just enter 2344097181 in any Ebay search box)

Be aware the washer's whole cabinet easily comes off for service

- 2 screws, 2 clips. No need to struggle to access it from bottom or rear. It's very easy to locate a leak with the cab off. Nicest washer out there for service!

Let me know.

Reply to
Dave Harnish

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AuralFeast) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m01.aol.com:

My parents had the same problem and in their case it turned out that the motor mount gasket had gone, allowing water to drain onto the motor. Eventually, the motor itself gave out, but not without a few weeks of squeeling whenever it was used. I'm understandably glad the leak didn't cause an electrical short.

I was able to get a replacement motor assembly from a local parts depot and replaced it myself for 1/3 of what a repair person offered.

It was still running ten years later when my folks retired and sold the house.

I can't say that this is the problem you're unit has, but it's something to consider.

Reply to
blubluh