LCD TV height

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a sofa ?

Reply to
desgnr

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a sofa ?

Reply to
desgnr

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a sofa ?

Reply to
desgnr

Yep, my wife wanted the TV mounted above the fire place, like so many home shows have it. I vetoed that idea. Stiff necks are no fun.

I don't want it too low, either. It should be well out of the view of any brick-a-brack on the coffee table, for example. I'd go to WallyWorld and measure some stands.

Reply to
krw

Well, since we don't know how tall you are or how high your sofa is, how about getting a couple of friends to lift it while you sit on the sofa until it seems comfortable...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

"Smitty Two" wrote

At that math, wouldn't the bottom of the screen be just above the baseboard? I prefer mine up higher. And I'll tell the geek to put it just where I want it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I agree with the first answer here.

Just measured mine and my eye level is at 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.

I'll never understand why people mount flat panels above a fireplace.

Reply to
Ron

Only if you plan on sitting your TV on the floor, unless it's a RPRV, of course.

You need a "geek" to "setup" your TV?

Reply to
Ron

room

Because most people USE their TV as a fireplace? Noise. flickering light, sound, but nothing actually going on?

Because modern TVs look like framed pictures, so they automatically hang them that way?

Because they spent too much time in airports, and think that is how display boards are supposed to look- hung up high?

Most people have less than no clue about ergonomics.

Reply to
aemeijers

Exactly; Better wording might have been 'Heavy CRT, glass tube, TV sets' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you KNEW what was meant.

BTW agree with aemeijers ...... when our second hand approx 37 inch TV that cost us next to nothing and which we repaired some six or more years ago for four dollars does fail, it's doing fine now, we may consider looking for a used LCD.

Much of the programming is (excuse the word) crap! And much of the so- called news is just sensational one sided ranting and posturing! (And probably lobbying!)

Fortunately TV is becoming available via the internet. So often as not one can watch BBC World News and other national TV feeds (all in English) that way.

For example there was virtually no coverage of the Chinese mine flooding on North American TV. That was a case where 115 men were rescued after EIGHT days in the flooded mine. And a total of over 200 were rescued in total, by over 1000 working above ground etc. Well done!

And; oh yes. Put the TV at a comfortable height for your sitting and viewing. Nothing magic.

Reply to
terry

I have a 47" LCD sitting on a TV stand that is the typical height, probably about 20" high or so. I do most watching lying down on the sofa, so find it great for that, and OK for sitting as well. I'm not a big fan of mounting them on the wall and high, unless it's for an application like a bedroom.

As for programming that;s available, I have Cablevision in the nyc area and am very satisfied with the way HD looks and think there is definitely enough HD out there to make purchasing a large screen HD unit worthwhile. My next purchase I'm about to make is the new Tivo HD personal video recorder.

Reply to
trader4

Would the OP do the math, and see just exactly how high the bottom of the screen would be above baseboard height for the center to be at eye level to a person slouched in a chair, and get back to us?

As mentioned, mounting one low has the dangers of being within reach of children. Animals sometimes attack TV screens, too, when a dog sound comes out of the TV. I know mine will do it if it was within reach. He hears it, and he goes ballistic.

But hey, to each their own. That's why they make measuring tapes.

Steve

book coming soon

Steve B

You should mount it high enough to view comfortabily (sic) from a sofa.

Before we mounted our 42" on the wall, I made a temporary adjustable stand and tried various heights before settling on a height that was comfortable for various viewing positions - sitting in the recliner, reclining in the recliner, sitting on the sofa, reclining on the sofa, etc.

We also determined that we needed a mount that swiveled horizontally so we could angle the TV for people sitting at the far end of one of the sofas.

BTW the 42" decision was made after measuring the various viewing distances from the various pieces of furniture and looking up the recommendations for those distances. You want to choose the biggest TV possible for your average viewing distance. Too small is a waste and too big may result in reduced quality.

IMHO, too big is a much bigger mistake than too small.

P.S. Buy your mount (and cables) from monoprice.

DerbyDad03

room

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Yep, SWMBO included. I did manage to filibuster that one.

Reply to
krw