Lawnboy 8237 gearbox repair question

hi,

my lawnboy 8237 mower stopped self propelling itself this weekend, so i disassembled the engine and found the drive gear was shredded into pieces. So i will replace the gear with a new one, no problem. My question is, what lubricates this part? Is the gearbox supposed to be reassembled with gearbox oil? If so, how do you get it in there?

Also while I have the engine all apart, should I replace the piston and rings? When the mower is running it seems quite strong, so what are your recommendations? Should I just wait until the rings are completely worn out before replacing?

THanks, Fish

Reply to
fish

Are you talking about the gears on the lower end of the engine? If you have the engine all apart, replace the piston rings, crankshaft seals, and the reed valves. I would not replace the piston as long as it looks good. Beings you have it apart you may consider going through the carb too. A gasket, needle and seat, and float will keep you from tearing it apart in the near future. Also a new rewind rope and remove and clean the recoil spring too! None of this will be any easier to repair/replace now as you have it all apart, and the parts don't cost much either. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Yes, the gears i am talking about are the ones that are driven off the crankshaft and eventually drive the rear wheels.

I looked at the reed valves, they seem to have been doing their job, do these wear out that frequently?

I am taking your advice to replace the crankshaft seals.

THanks, Fish

Reply to
fish

The reeds can get weak. I feel it is just cheap insurance while you are in there to replace them! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Greg,

I wonder if you could tell me how to carefully remove the rings, assuming the piston is already removed, and put the new ones on. Is a special tool required? Is there a special grease required when sliding the piston back in with the new rings?

Thanks, Fish

Reply to
fish

There is a tool you can buy to help expand the rings to install them, looks allot like a snap ring pliers. That said I never use one. The rings will break if you twist them too much so you do need to be careful. When installing rings I start with the ring end gap placed over the groove the ring fits into. The Ring will be at an angle over the top of the piston. Taking both thumbs, slowly spread the ring gap while sliding the rind over the piston with your fingers. As far as lube, just a drop or two of two cycle oil on the cylinder wall, and any bearing surface. Don't overdue it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O