Lawn care goes hi-tech

Called a business that had an insert in our local paper to get a quote for getting our lawn rolled. Gave them all the usual information, plus e-mail address, then asked when somebody was likely to come and check the place out. Reply: "We don't need to send somebody there: we get all the information we need from satellite imagery."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I was impressed when one of the roofing companies I contacted did the estimate from satellite imagery. The computer spits out the estimate. I didn't hire them and I'm glad I didn't. They did one of my neighbor's and the crew consisted of Mexican Nationals. Nothing against Mexicans but I want one or two English speaking guys on the crew.

Point is: It's the final job that matters. :-)

Reply to
JimT

I guess for the majority of new clients that might work. I know that the (Google) images of my house are going on 3 (4?) years old so if that's what they use, they'd see a different landscaping layout.

From a lawn rolling perspective, I think they'd be "close enough" with the old images, but I'd certainly want to discuss the final numbers with them since there is less lawn to roll than the images show.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
8k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Oh boy, here we go...

re: "Nothing against Mexicans but I want one or two English speaking guys on the crew."

What if they all spoke Dutch? or German? or the Queen's English?

re: "Point is: It's the final job that matters."

Apparently not. What seems to matter, at least to you, is what language they speak.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My wife speaks some German and she's Hispanic.

So communication isn't important to you? If I had a translator it wouldn't matter.

FWIW: That particular company didn't have a real good rep locally. They were based out of another city too. That was the reason I didn't pick them. I try to ask anyone that does work on my house to have at least one English speaking person. I don't think that is unreasonable or racist. It can easily be a Mexican that speaks English. I grew-up, and spent most of my adult life, in Southern NM. I don't carry any hard core resentment of Mexicans. I'm just being practical. If that bothers you I don't know what to say.

Reply to
JimT

The guys that did the teardown on my roof spoke either spanish of russian. (some of each)

Reply to
Bob F

What "bothers" me is how you said it. Granted, you can't really tell "tone" in a NG post, so I'll just tell you how I read it...

When you say that you didn't use them because the crew was all "Mexican Nationals" and you want "one or two English speaking guys on the crew" you make it sound like those two things are mutually exclusive.

When I was in the service in Germany, we had many German Nationals that worked side by side with us on base. They *all* spoke English. In fact, they were "ahead" of us in that regard, because very few of us spoke German.

Did you verify that none of the crew that worked on your neighbor's house spoke English? If you didn't, then it appears, at least to me, that you didn't hire them because of their nationality - or at a minimum, you didn't hire them for a reason that might not have been justified.

re: "That particular company didn't have a real good rep locally. "

Now that is a very valid reason. However, the wording in your earlier post certainly didn't indicate that reputation had anything to do with your decision, especially when you strung together these three sentences in one paragraph:

"I didn't hire them and I'm glad I didn't. They did one of my neighbor's and the crew consisted of Mexican Nationals. Nothing against Mexicans but I want one or two English speaking guys on the crew."

Again, it just *sounds* like you feel that if they are Mexican Nationals they must not speak English, which some might consider to be somewhat of a prejudential generalization.

Like I said, that's how it came across to me, so that's why I responded as I did.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I snipped because OE does quotes badly at times.

IMHO: You're missing the point and you're predisposed beliefs are clouding your reasoning.

Reply to
JimT

I'd immediately pick another company.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Good luck finding a non mexican roofing crew. BUT, i would insist on an English speaking Foreman. I agree with that. Speak english or go home.

Reply to
Steve Barker

IMHO I believe I directly addressed your point and merely explained how the wording in your post came across to me.

"predisposed beliefs"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

IMHO I believe I directly addressed your point and merely explained how the wording in your post came across to me.

"predisposed beliefs"?

====

You assumed I'm a rabid racist because I said "Mexican National". WTF?

I'm just going to fall back on: "I don't know what to tell you."

Reply to
JimT

Yeah, living here in Central TX you learn that pretty quickly.

I got Wilson Roofing (Austin). They did excellent work and they have the reputation of being one of the best. There were a bunch of guys up there. But there was a articulate and educated person there at all times. Started at about 7am and ended about 7pm. Pro all the way. Cost a little more but worth it. I highly recommend them.

Reply to
JimT

re: "You assumed I'm a rabid racist because I said "Mexican National".

Wow! If that doesn't prove my point that you can't read tone in a NG post, I don't know what does.

WTF? I agree.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why? Can't they tell the area well enough from a satellite image? What else do they need to know to give me a price?

I have their quote already and, although I have no other quote with which to compare it, it's less than I was figuring it could be.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

re: "You assumed I'm a rabid racist because I said "Mexican National".

Wow! If that doesn't prove my point that you can't read tone in a NG post, I don't know what does.

WTF? I agree.

===

Okay...Let's say I understand what you said but since I removed all doubt with my second post; what's the point? Does it make you feel self-righteous? To me that's worse than racism.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you stop harassing me. If you do I'll just assume you're on your high-horse. It's your choice. Good Day!

Jim

Reply to
JimT

TV commercial for gubernatorial candidate.

HeyBub

heh....My answer would have to be no. Little doubt to the constituents he's appealing to.

Reply to
JimT

Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:

My neighbor had his house re-roofed. It was a two roof house about

60x30.in size. The spanish speaking crew came early in the morning and started ripping off the old shingles.By supper time, they were done, and before leaving, they cleaned up the mess too. The only potential problem was the constant hammering of 6 or 8 guys, but I was doing construction on my house at the time, so the hammering and the salsa music on their radio didn't bother me. I don't think they even took a break, except for lunch. When I need my house re-roofed, I will give their company a call.
Reply to
willshak

I think I mentioned this in another group. Here in Alabamastan, many of our politicians barely speak English, it's Hillbonics or Ebonics and some of them are almost impossible to understand especially since most of what they're saying are lies anyway.

*snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas