Killfile lists?

Does anyone have a filter already setup to clean the noise from here? Would you mind posting it so I can safely plonk the noise?

I wish there was a way to filter someone only if they reply to a troll, but see them if they post on-topic (I'm looking at you Storman Mormon!)

Using Agent v6

Reply to
G. Morgan

Start here:

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yeah, he changed it.

Oh sure. I was hoping someone had a list of individuals that are posting OT noise.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'm aware of Blinky's work before he passed. I even updated a Wikipedia article about GG because someone removed his work as "irrelevant".

Thanks anyway...

Reply to
G. Morgan

On 09 Aug 2015, notbob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Don't start there. You'll throw out too much good water with the bad. Besides, the real problems in this group do not post through Google, so killfiling all Googlers won't solve your problem.

Reply to
Nil
[snip]

[snip]

How about killing threads/subthreads started by trolls? That's what I was doing on another group, where there was an active troll who impersonated real posters. A lot of people were responding to the troll without knowing it and I was getting tired of dealing with those posts.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

What? They are different posters?! Yeah I was talking about Chris (just an example, he's alright).

There are other newsgroups I would love to be able to hide a message that is a troll reply, and display the poster's messages normally in a non-troll thread.

I will ask Forte about this and ask they add it as a feature, but they really have not been responsive to requests. I've been asking for the ability to filter on *all* header fields for the past decade. They send email asking for feature requests on the next version but I guess my request wasn't popular enough (for the past 5 versions).

Reply to
G. Morgan

I may end up having to do that if individual filtering doesn't work.

Good to see you again...

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's one of the nice things about Thunderbird, you just hit "k" on a troll thread and it disappears, never to be seen again.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yes, I've seen posts from both of them**

Of course maybe he means Stormin' Oren.

**You see the same posters wherever you go.
Reply to
micky

If you are going to write Forte, point out to them that Ignore Subthread is not an option for permanent filters afaict. It's an option in recent version when applied to a given post. but once I'm doing that, it's not hard to delete the rest of the subthread.

OTOH, I can't make Ignore the option for the permanent filter because that would enable the jerks to mess up a whole thread.

I wanted the color from a mailbox, or maybe it was the outbox, to be kept when moving part of a mailbox or the outbox, to a folder, and one of authors told me right here that they wouldn't do that. It woudl only take three lines. I wanted it to keep track of what I had read or not, or maybe it was sent or not. I'd upgrade if they would add that and maybe the permantent subthread ignore.

Reply to
micky

That's true of Agent too, with I, for ignore, but it would take with it the good posts in a thread. It sounds like yours would do that too.

Reply to
micky

I emailed you mine, the part that applies to AHR.

Reply to
micky

What "good water"??

I learned a lot from Blinky's page. Enough to learn more about my filter and how it works. The trick is to KF all of GG posts, then allow exceptions, one-by-one. ;)

Reply to
notbob

I usually filter out based on the "From" information, occasionally, I'll filter out by "Subject".

Reply to
Muggles

Many filters are "linear". Meaning, the filter rules process each entry, one at a time, first to last. If I wanna filter all GG articles, but allow some GG posters access, I must put the exception rules before the all-GG rule.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Incorrect.

Jes like one too often sees KF'd posts as quotes in another poster's articles, one can also view good posters via another's quotes. If I think a good poster has been wrongly KF'd, I can mod my score file to allow them access, while still KF'ing most GG'ers. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 10 Aug 2015, notbob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Well, not incorrect. As you described below, you don't the the poster, you see references to the poster elsewhere.

If that works for you, fine, but it doesn't work for me.

There's more collateral damage than real benefit.

Reply to
Nil

The difference is??

It should. AFAIK, slrn and Xnews score files are very similar:

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 10 Aug 2015, notbob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Please don't pretend to be dumb.

It works mechanically. It doesn't work with my idea of how to manage newsgroup posts.

Reply to
Nil