Inground Pool - Brand New Plaster Cracking

We recently had our 20x40 inground pool replastered. A few weeks after the replastering, I noticed hairline cracks around the upper part of the walls and the steps. We talked to our installation person (who basically contracted out this job to someone else) and he said that our Ph was too high and it was our problem.

We do live in an area with a high water table, they did remove all of water to replaster, and the pool was refilled with our garden hoses, which took a few days.

Did the upper portions of the plaster "cure" too quickly and now are cracking? What does the Ph of the water do to new plaster?

Any information or pointers to information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cathy

Reply to
user

Do a ph test , But honestly Id say BS. An installer error. And take the sob to small claim , Why , because if he even truely thought that was a possibility he would have checked it and wavered you on the contract. So he is negligent, or a lier or both. The SOB has his line down doesnt he.

Reply to
m Ransley

Good case for small claims court. Or complain to the BBB first if you think that might help.

Reply to
Art

BBB is a joke without inforcable power.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would worry more that you didn't cure it properly. Did you spray the exposed parts while the pool was filling? You can't let this stuff dry out before it cures.

Reply to
Greg

The pool company came back everyday and checked it. I as the consumer was not told to spray the plaster, but I can not guarantee that the installer did either.

So, it does sound like the plaster did not "cure" properly, (ie, dried too fast)? Now, I guess the issue is "whose fault is it?" and what needs to be done to correct it? Does it require a total redo?

Cathy

Greg wrote:

Reply to
user

Its their fault, they monitored the job they did the job, they did not give you instructions or orders to follow that you failed on. I dont know pools but if paint , concrete , plaster, mortar, welds , etc dont bond you remove all loose product and redo the job. If they dont jump to fix it or agree in writing to a agreement tell them you will file small claim for full cost. here it costs 35$ and takes 5 minutes, That will get them a movin. It possibly was bad surface prep. Either way get an agreement today or file, tell them you will drop claim if its fixed.

Reply to
m Ransley

Could have mis measured something when prepareing plaster. It is their problem.

Reply to
Art

Thanks.

Cathy

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
user

I can't believe they told you not to keep this thing wet. I understand they don't want you blasting the plaster off but you should have been misting it to keep it wet until the pool water covered it. This is basically stucco and it has to be treated the same way.

Reply to
Greg

They didn't tell us to do anything special when it was filling with water.They set up the hoses with the socks over them, they came out each day and checked on it, all we were told to do was leave the water running, one hose in the deep end and one in the shallow end (which we did).

So, are these cracks serious defects, or are they possible "crazing"? I have been trying to find out as much as I can on the web, and I found reference to "crazing" which kind of sounds like what we have. Only problem is that I have not been able to find a picture so that I can verify that's what our pool looks like.

Cathy

Greg wrote:

Reply to
user

The real test is whether it leaks. I would still pursue this with the plasterer. I just did this and my guy told me to keep it wet. I was using Florida Gem exposed aggregate plaster.

Reply to
Greg

I dont know about pools but you dont need to keep stucco houses wet when curing.

Reply to
m Ransley

but if you do, they cure better without as much cracking. just like concrete pads.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I wonder if the pool shifted a bit causing the cracks? You mention you live in an area with high water table..My parents used to live in Titusville Florida and they had a pool that had to be replastered..Mom said they put some sort of pipes in the ground all around the pool to relieve water pressure under the pool while it was empty..The guy told her without them the ground water could push the pool out..They did not have any trouble after the replaster, but maybe this is your situation?? John

Reply to
John