Identify this piece of hardware

See attached pic (small GIF).

I've found two of these the last few days, one small (~1"), the other several times larger. Just wondering what the proper name for them is.

(Please disregard mis-drawn left-hand threads.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

binary group no attachments.

post picture on internet and then post link.

Reply to
Master Betty

"Master Betty" wrote in news:hi6b57$sio$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Actually, with XNews, it saw it and saved it as a gif. Don't know the specifics but can only guess it uploaded as text and Xnews decoded it to a gif. Here it is as a linked jpg.

David: It looks like you used Thunderbird to post. Did you ATTACH it as a gif? INCLUDE as inline? Just curious.

Reply to
Red Green

On 1/7/2010 8:58 PM Red Green spake thus:

Just attached it, just like you'd do for any ordinary email message. No magic. (I drag the file to the compose window, which automagically opens an attachment pane to accept the file, whereupon I drop it.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

this is how you post it David.

:-)

Reply to
Master Betty

It looks like the pin from a clevas (shackle)

Ray

try this catalog:

buffalobill

*I was going to say it looks like a tie rod end, but it does look like a pin.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Some form of turnbuckle?

Tie-rod end (minus the ball joint)?

Part of some larger object that doesn't have a specific name of it's own?

Does the part with the loop thread into the next piece, and if so, do those threads go the opposite way of the ones shown?

Is the the "ring" near the center sooth, of does it have flats so it can be held/turned with a wrench?

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Of course, if you meant 1" long rather than 1" in diameter, it's probably not a tie-rod...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

It is some sort of tie-rod or turn-buckle end. Your description is vague and the pic isn't the greatest either and looks hand drawn to me.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Yeah- that was my first thought. but note that he just posted a message *with* attachment that amounted to 70 lines. I KF'd 3 fools yesterday that were quoting over 2000 lines of text.

I'm surprised my server [individual.net] didn't strip the gif or drop the post.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Generic name is just "Rod end". Zillions of varieties available. See, for example:

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

One of my cars came with 2 of those. I believe they are used for towing. There are 2 small round tabs in the plastic bumper. If you remove the tabs, you can insert these things and use them to pull the car.

Reply to
greenpjs

This isn't a binary group. Pictures don't come through.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I access Usenet through eternal-september.org (can't remember what it used to be called) and Thunderbird 3. I saw the picture.

I would call the thing a clevis bolt.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I agree, it looks just like the pins on some shackles I have in my rigging odds and ends bucket.

Reply to
Pete C.

On 1/8/2010 4:02 AM Jim Elbrecht spake thus:

Why should they?

Sheesh. People seem to think there's some kind of enforceable ban on "binaries" in non-binary newsgroups. There ain't. No magic mechanism that strips them out and punishes the poster for daring to pollute the purity of the text-only NG.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No, no enforceable ban. Some people said they couldn't see it, and you chose to not care. It's a courtesy thing - kind of like not getting pissy when asking for help.

RicodJour

Actually, the majority of newservers DO filter out binaries from non-binary groups as a matter of standard practice. They realize that there are nitwits who will never understand why they aren't supposed to do that.

Reply to
salty