I found out how not to do it...

I have two 1"x1"x27" pieces of oak. I needed to cut 3/8" dados in them, about the middle, to accept 3/8" dowels flush. I suppose a square bottom would be okay, but I had a round bottom in my mind.

I stuck a 3/8" straight bit in my router table and pressed the side of the piece into it. Because it was not quite long enough, I did one part, and then flipped it over than did the rest. The first 1/4" was fine but after that it got very hairy. It was not a safe process at all; the router was very eager to grab the wood and throw it. Slowing the router way down helped, but not enough. How could it be done properly; besides a 3/8" file?

I suppose I could have drilled a hole in the wood and removed the balance with a file. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Toller

Maybe I ought to just watch TV the rest of the evening...

Reply to
Toller

Make a jig with another piece of wood. One that securely holds your 1x1 but allows better control on the router table. Something that cupped over top of the 1x1 allowing you to ride it over the router bit would probably work reasonably well.

Reply to
wkearney99

From your description I don't have a clue what you're trying to do...

First thing that comes to my mind is to do the milling on a larger piece then rip the 1" strip off the edge, but I can't tell whether that works or not as I don't know what your doing where, precisely. A 3/8" dado on a 1" piece shouldn't be any problem at all. I don't understand what "accept 3/8" dowels flush" means.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think he's trying to make a 3/8 X 3/8 U shaped groove across the width of the board, but who knows....

Reply to
Rick

That is correct

Reply to
Toller

In that case he should have used a core box bit and gone across the board.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth