How to tighten the nut on this sink?

I can't figure out what tool to use to tighten the nut under my sink faucet... Here's a picture:

Any advice is welcome!

Reply to
Sean McIlvenna

Snag

Basin wrench

Ed Pawlowski

Hmm... I have this wrench, but it doesn't seem to tighten down enough on the nut well enough. The nut is surprisingly round...

Reply to
Sean McIlvenna

Check out this wrench. Open up the "+5" image gallery. Bottom left image looks like it might work.

Marilyn Manson

Is there room to use a vice grip, channel lock, or an ordinary pair of pliers?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

A very long time ago, we had the spray hose on the kitchen sink spring a leak, and we couldn't wash dishes without flooding the kitchen. It was Christmas in a small town and no plumber was available. The sink was a double one and you had to reach up between them to unscrew the hose. We'd had a death and had a house full of relatives. I was just a kid then.

By sheer dumb luck I had both a basin wrench and a replacement hose. But the nut was rounded and the basin wrench would not grip. We all tried it. We weren't handy people at the time, everyone could disassemble musical instruments but not plumbing.

I used a drill to put a small hole, like eighth inch or so, through the nut. I inserted a nail so it stuck out on both sides. I cut a chunk of water pipe and hacksawed a slot in the top that the nail could fit in. Then I gripped the water pipe from below the sink with a pipe wrench and turned it. It worked.

Reply to
TimR

"We weren't handy people at the time"

I call BS! ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It may not sound right but if it is a stainless drop in sink, it might be easier to just take the sink out, fix the faucet and put the sink back. They usually just have a half dozen clips holding them in and a little plumber's putty under the rim.

Reply to
gfretwell

And maybe a garbage disposal and definitely a drain, maybe 2.

I'm not sure I'd want to remove a stainless steel sink with the disposal attached, but I guess if it was supported while flipping the sink - and assuming the sink can handle the "upside down" weight of the disposal - it might be OK.

I'd probably remove the disposal just to be safe and to make lifting/flipping easier - assuming it's a simple twist lock style attachment.

Drains can be as easy as a couple of plastic compression nuts or as nasty as this...

...or worse

Hopefully, if it is stainless steel, the drain(s) are new-ish and in easily removable shape.

I haven't heard back on my suggestion of the "universal" wrench.

This adaptor looks similar to the "round nut".

Marilyn Manson

He's lucky, looks like he's putting it in, it's new, so this one will be easy to tighten. Basin wrench should do it. I can see having to taking the sink out if it's an old rusted on nut. I probably would have done the sink removal instead of doing Tim's method because among other things, it's a surer path to success.

Reply to
trader_4