How to fix crack in basement wall?

I have a hairline crack in the upper part of basement wall above the ground. It extends above and a little below the basement window. It looks like it was repaired in the past from inside with some yellowish substance, but that substance dried out and cracked. The crack is visible from the inside and outside.

Now when we have strong wind driven rain the water is seeping through that crack and then down the window and the wall on the inside.

I would like to repair the crack from the inside and from the outside.

1) What can I use to fix it from outside that is waterproof? The exterior is grey painted concrete in that place. The fix has to be liquid enough to penetrate the crack and seal it against the rain.

2) What can I use to fix the crack from the inside? The color does not matter since it is behind the walls of finished basement.

Thanks!

Reply to
smanilov

ccaulking in concrete color. does this crack appear to be moving?

Reply to
hallerb

Hydraulic cement. Follow the instructions closely...

Reply to
Chris.parx

You didn't mention any crack growth, so just answer what you asked, imho:

  1. caulk the outside. Or if you are a "REAL MAN", use duct tape. :D

  1. I've seen products that use some epoxy mix that is injected to form bond between the sides of teh crack, so the wall becomes one again, and the crack growth is minimized. I think this only professionally done. So once again, "REAL MEN" use duct tape. :D

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

before you do any repair WAIT... there is no point in spending the time to fix something that may just break again for the same reason. clean the area well and make 2 very clear marks one on either side of the crack and take an ACCURATE measurment of this space.you can put several at various locations along the crack this will tell you if it is moving or not, Id wait a month checking every week. If it is moving find the cause first because it will get worse.. sounds to me like I would check the floor joist right above the crack and see what is going on.

To fix the crack permantly I would use a 2 part epoxy (H.D. LOWES) in the section with the foundation fastners, bolts ect. Its in a double tube that looks like 2 caulking tubes put together and you need a special gun to use it (can be rented or bought) it is made by Simpson. There are many "crack fillers" out there but this will actuall rejoin the 2 parts not just fill the gap.....its exspensive compared to the others but this stuff WILL NOT crumble, shrink or deteriorate over time and I assure you if you do not have movement you will never see that crack there again.....every time I use it im amazed by its strength.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Italian Mason

You can hire a guy for a couple hundred bucks to do it right. He will drill a series of small holes deep into the crack, thread a temporary fitting into each hole, and force epoxy sealant in there under high pressure.

Reply to
Ether Jones