How to cure dead spots in lawn

ROTFL! You just can't bring yourself to admit that you made a mistake, can you?

*Lime* is a common additive in concrete, mortar, and plaster. *Lye* is not. There is a difference.
Reply to
Doug Miller

It something is dead, I don't think it can be cured....

Reply to
HeyBub

Wonder what would be the purpose of adding lye to the subsoil? Draw moisture to help concrete cure? Termite prevention? Interesting.

Reply to
norminn

try seeding those spots. You can't just water nothing and expect something to come up.

Reply to
Steve Barker

ide quoted text -

I've never heard of any such thing being done. Mixing anything with the subsoil before pouring a foundation would have to be one big pain in the ass and time sink. Like how exactly are you going to mix it in? You'd have to take out the material, mix it in somehow, then replace it, then compact it, etc. And if you have a basement, with a perimeter drain, wouldn't the lye wind up in the sump pit?

Also hard to imagine it would be effective for long against termites. Lye is water soluble and would wind up in the groundwater, being diluted and carried away.

Reply to
trader4

Because I didn't make a mistake. I know the difference between the two and what was being used was LYE! Now get up off the floor and pull your head out of your ass.

Reply to
BobR

I don't know what it was used for but watched many bags of it spread out and mixed into the sand and soil before the liner was put in place. The foundations are all slab foundations (no basements down here) and the soil was mostly clay. What ever the reason, I lived there for over 30 years and we never had a crack in the foundation even after adding a second story onto the house.

Reply to
BobR

Whatever. It's clear you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, but that's ok. Go on thinking that they put lye in the concrete. Put it in your own concrete if you like, I don't care.

Just don't ever try to mix mortar for anyone else, OK?

Reply to
Doug Miller

That would have been lime. Do you suppose it's possible that after thirty years, you don't remember exactly what you saw them using?

Reply to
Doug Miller

out,

Well clearly you know it all including what I witnessed first hand. I wouldn't mix mortar or anything else for an arrogant ass like you so don't worry about it.

Reply to
BobR

No Doug, it is not possible but it clearly is possible that you are a know it all ass who believes it so be my guest.

Reply to
BobR

There is a lot of misinformation on the net. I've heard the process of sorting truth from fiction as being like "sorting flyshit from pepper"

In this case, there are certain sites out there that indicate Lye is part of concrete - but the same sites refer to it as "Calcium Chloride, or Lye". Guess what - Calcium Chloride is not Lye - so I discount those sites completely. They don't know what they are talking about - Flyshit - not pepper.

HOWEVER - there is ONE known application of lye in concrete work. Would DEFINITELY NOT require "BAGS" of it for a foundation.

There is an OLD recipe for making concrete "impervious" - that means basically sealed and untouchable - that uses small amounts of lye.

A "Stock" mixture of 1 lb Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) and 5 lbs of Hydrated Aluminum Potassium Sulphate (common ALUM) mixed with 2 gallons of pure water.

One PINT of this mixture is added to 10 lbs of either common or portland cement and thinned to brushing consistancy with water. This is brushed onto fresh concrete (within 3 to 4 days) with a whitewash brush. It will foam when applied, and forms an "impervious" finish on the concrete making it resistant to damage from salts etc and prevents water from migrating through the concrete.

Reply to
clare

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife! Thamks for the info. will share with my mason son.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Gee. I have the same problem. Grass won't grow on my concrete driveway. I wonder what is wrong. You've gotten many good suggestions here to fix it, but they all want to argue amongst themselves and you. Just dig up the damn areas about a foot deep, replace the soil, (or find what it is in there that won't let stuff grow) and get on with your life. Replace the soil no matter what, because there's something in there that ain't going away.

Got it this time, Sparky?

Reply to
Pittman Pirate

LOL

Reply to
LouB

You may try giving your local nursery a call and explain your problem to them. I've heard that grubs may cause this and also a lack of airation (sp?). I would definitely call around and get some ideas as to what causes this problem and the easiest, cheapest solution is.

Good luck!

Reply to
jeck15