How much oil in a buried tank

This may not be answerable. Have replaced oil with natural gas. Oil tank is buried, and is about 50 years old. Have agreed with city government over foam fill of M.T. tank as acceptable means of leaving it there. Am willing to give away the oil (foam company wants $$$ to remove the oil) to anyone who can pump it out. How much oil becomes the operative issue. I am told the tank is 550 gallon ( I know I have put 480 in it a couple of times) probably, mounted with the narrow dimension vertical. I can sound it, but how will I know how to convert the measurement into gallons. Is there some sort of formula available? Otherwise, all I can think of is wet depth divided by dry (total) depth as a % of 550 gallons for a SWAG. Any ideas? I can't believe in these times that there isn't some charity doing this. Oh, and I live in Virginia Beach if anyone wants the oil.

Reply to
starrin

you will have to have it professionally pumped with a certificate its empty. dont know about the foam filling but meet all environmental laws or at home resale time it will be a ugly costly issue.

most homeowners insurance companies refuse new policies with any buried tanks. unless you have proof its all doine perfect.

pay me now, $$ pay late $$$$$$$$$$$$$$:(

if a buyer cant get homeowners they cant get a mortage.

hey let anyone take the oil, then pay the company to pump whats left.and issue cetificate its was done properly

Reply to
hallerb

SNIP

Not entirely correct. Here is the info on the foam progam:

I'm just trying to get it down to a near M.T. level so that they can come in and do their thing. You will note that the foam absorbs/incorporates any residual. It's just that if there are 50 or

100 or more gallons, they want to charge to remove it, before they do their thing. The program is approved for oil tank abandonment in VA.

That's where I'm trying to go. One issue is---How much oil. And around here, there don't seem to be many "anyones" who want it.

Reply to
starrin

Old tanks have sludge, water and rust in the bottom. Nobody wants it. It would just plug up somebody elses system or raise their sludge level and clog their filters.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

you will have to have it professionally pumped with a certificate its empty. dont know about the foam filling but meet all environmental laws or at home resale time it will be a ugly costly issue.

most homeowners insurance companies refuse new policies with any buried tanks. unless you have proof its all doine perfect.

pay me now, $$ pay late $$$$$$$$$$$$$$:(

if a buyer cant get homeowners they cant get a mortage.

hey let anyone take the oil, then pay the company to pump whats left.and issue cetificate its was done properly

As usual Haller has some direct connection to "most homeowners insurance companies". Please, for once Haller, share the documentation with the rest of us.

Reply to
RBM

Post it as a friebie on Craigslist or your local freecycle. I bet you'll find someone.

How old id the oil?

Reply to
Bob F

Can you get the measurements of the tank? "Shape? If so, there are charts that give the amount of liquid by measuring how high the contents are on a dip stick. A Google search will give you what you need. Start with this

Ed Pawlowski

. =EF=BF=BDOil

, there are charts

to get the certified abandoned how will the foam company confirm its empty?

i would offer the oil free, then pay to pump whatever remains.

you dont want a issue at sales time!

RBM havent you seen the others coming here about abandoned tanks?

its no wonder homeowners refuses coverage.

locally a old abandoned tank leaked, contaminated the ground water of

20 some homes on well water.

homeowners ended up with the clean up costs and paying for a water line extension for the neighborhood.

last i heard the neighbors sued anyway over health issues of all kinds, and not wanting to pay city water bill./

everyone sues everyone over everything.:(

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, agree with Ed. Using a chart you can dip the tank and determine how much oil there is. That is key. If you have 300 gallons of oil, then you should be able to find someone to come take it via Craigslist or similar. If you have only 25 gallons left in a 25 year old tank that's been sitting there, not likely anyone is going to want it because it could be mostly crap.

Reply to
trader4

Is it really that hard to just type "empty"?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You can usually get an ad for free for free stuff in your newspaper. I'm sure your phone will be swamped.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've run into this a couple of times.

Stick the tank, meaning put a long stick into it and measure how many inches of oil show up. If you can, get some water finding paste and smear on the end of the stick. You might have one inch of water and ten inches of oil, or vice versa, and it makes a difference.

Then, if you have enough oil to be worth somebody's trouble, you might sell it or get a recycler to take it. That would be a couple hundred gallons, I would think.

If you only have a small amount, like 25 to 50 gallons, I'd suggest you empty it yourself. Borrow one of those crank pumps, or if you can't find one and you're really cheap, buy a bailer. I've bailed lots of tanks dry, it takes a long long time but it's almost free. They're just a long tube with a ball check in the bottom.

Reply to
TimR

as. =EF=BF=BDOil

wouldnt the foam installer have to certify somehow the tank was completely empty.??

Reply to
hallerb

I went through this many years ago before there was a huge EPA involvement. I used the return line of the oil furnace to remove the remaining oil to a 55 gal drum in the basement. I used that until I put in the NG furnace. I hand-dug the old tank (not a big deal) out and lifted it with block and tackle hooked to a tree. Cut a large hole in the tank (jigsaw) and cleaned it out. Took it to a junker and had them sign a receipt.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Good thought

No more than 12 months. We just lit off the gas last week

Reply to
starrin

I bet you get a BUNCH of calls. Some probably would kick you some cash.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Actually, the measurement you want to make is pretty easy. Do a dip measurement, remove some number of gallons, and do another dip measurement. The difference will tell you the cross sectional area of the tank. If the cross sectional area is the same, top to bottom, as in a vertical cylinder, you've got it done.

Reply to
Doug

And if it is not you have a problem. BTW How does one know the shape of the tank?

Reply to
LouB

That's ingenious, really, but won't work for an underground tank. I've dug up roughly 250 of these, and none were vertical cylinders. Large ones might be a horizontal cylinder, smaller ones were more often a horizontal oval shape.

Reply to
TimR

I have to agree with the last comment. Now know that the tank holds

16" of oil (tiny bit of water) and that it is approximately 42" to the inside top of the tank from the bottom. Oil guys says based on records of past fillings and experience in this area, that it is a 550 gallon tank. My swag is that it is at least 1/3 full, i.e. 180+ gallons. That's close enough for my purposes.
Reply to
starrin