How do I drill 90 degrees into wood without a drill press?

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes with a portable drill?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce K.

I can't see your headboard, but are you sure you need to drill exact 90 degree angles? If you are just drilling through, say, 3/4" wood to put screws or bolts into the bed frame, you shouldn't need to do much of anything special.

If you really need to drill accurate 90s with something inexpensive, you can get drill attachments such as this:

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Google for "Portalign". I don't know if these are still being made, but there are three of them on eBay at this moment. Prices range from $7 to $9.15 US.

Or, same idea, a little pricier, but possibly better quality:

Different approach:
Google on "drill guide" "portable drill" and you'll find lots of choices.

Reply to
Doug Miller

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Does it need to be a square mirror?

Reply to
G Henslee

Won't the hole then be from the wrong side???

Reply to
bill a

No, it'll just be oriented 90-degrees off...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That of course, was intended to be 180... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

he can't use a hole that's 180 deg reversed... his nuts will be on display! :D ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce K.

Actually, the easiest way is to use a folding mirror at 90-degree. Set a small square where is reflected in both and line the drill up against its relection in the mirror by sight--can get quite accurate in both directions.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

but where do you get drill bits with left hand twist?

Reply to
bill a

Seek and ye shall find... :)

Duane Bozarth

You might try a woodworking dowel jig from HD. I think they are about $15. Many uses, but should do the trick.

Reply to
GregL

To compensate for that you simply Centralize the Hypotenuse of the Quadrilateral. ;-)

Reply to
Gort

LOL !

Reply to
Gort

Hmm, I figured, round hole - round mirror.

Reply to
G Henslee