How dangerous is this problem?

While measuring the current at the circuit box for the posting above, I noticed that one of my 20a breakers has a #14 wire attached to it. The only thing on the circuit is a refrigerator that draws 7a to start and 1a to run.

As a practical matter, just how dangerous is this? The only outlet on the circuit is in a position where it could not possibly be used for something else by accident, so the only problem would be some weird overcurrent of more than 15a and less than 20a in the refrigerator; and that just doesn't seem likely.

It would require replacing a double breaker, so it would be about $10. Yes, I realize that is cheaper than replacing the house.

Reply to
John Smith

From a practical point of view, if you are absolutely sure that the fridge is the only thing on the circuit, I would not lose any sleep over it. I have to say, for absolute safety it should be replaced. There may be a code exception for this since max draw is limited by what can be connected. When you say double breaker I am assuming you are referring to a tandem or "piggyback", two in one slot. If that is correct, I have never seen one with two different amperage ratings, so you might be looking at replacing more than one and shuffling some wires around.

Sleep well.

Reply to
Colbyt

It's not the worst problem I've seen.

Replace the breaker anyway.

RB

Reply to
Robert A. Barr

You shouldn't have a 20A breaker on a #14 circuit. It just doesn't make sense. The only purpose of having a breaker at all is to protect the wiring from overload, and the 20A breaker doesn't do that.

Reply to
donald girod

quoting:

In this situation, it is not dangerous because the #14 wire is not overloaded.

But code says... You can't overfuse wire, so...

Replace the breaker, I would.

Reply to
JM