How can I stop my neighbor's bamboo from getting into my yard????

Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the steep hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over the years and it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is there? Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

I want to burn the crap but I know it won't do anything to stop it. Where can I find some Agent Orange?

Thanks! ray

Reply to
busbus

move?

Reply to
ChairMan

checkout

also

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Nuclear waste? Oh crap, that would produce mutant man eating bamboo. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Your local govt may have an option for you. Just like a neighbor/ property owner can't divert runoff water/drainage onto your property, infringing on your property or its normal use, some invasive non- native plant species, that a neighbor has purposefully planted, have to be controled by that neighbor from invading your property.

You will need to consult with the local govt and applicable ordinances and with the neighbor. An applicable ordinance may not specify a particular specie or scenario, but is applicable enough to cover an unforseen circumstance as with this bamboo. The neighbor, not you, may be required to install some sort of petition at the fence line or control the spread from on his side of the fence, but if you are able to work with the neighbor, the overall outcome (including civil peace with your neighbor) may be better resolved for both of you.

If an ordinance is found to be applicable, the neighbor may be required to perform any removal from your property, if the bamboo does eventually invade your property. It would be good for you to somehow demonstrate what damage can be expected and/or what hardship the invasion would present to you and your property, also, in your effort to site the ordinance and have it enforced on your behalf. If there is some sort of damage and/or hardship being demonstrated on his own property, for he, himself, this can be further evidence for your concern about it invading your property, i.e., example: is the bamboo growing toward his house/other structure/etc., also, such that he is having to take measures to control that direction of his own invasion scenario?

Now is the time to best address the issue, as you seem to be doing, not after the bamboo has established itself on your property.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Call you city, he is probably responsible to keep it off your property by law

Reply to
ransley

Your only solution is to commit suicide! Be sure to put in your will that you dont want to be buried in a bamboo coffin before you end your life.

Reply to
gopluckyourself

Like bamboo!?!

Reply to
Sonny

It wouldn't help.

  1. Dig a trench. A *DEEP* trench.

  1. Insert steel plates...the heavy duty, corrugated ones used for sea walls would work well. That would stop the bamboo from running onto your land.

  2. Monitor the area from time to time and keep any surface volunteers from growing.

Take heart in the fact that at some point the bamboo will go to seed and when it does it will die regardless of where in the world it is. Unfortunately, the life span varies by species...with some, it is 300 years. Then there are all those pesky seeds it emitted prior to gasping its last breath.

Perhaps you could make lemonade? Resurrect the lost art of making split bamboo fly rods? Start a "cut your own bamboo fishing pole" farm? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Ah, sometimes. Some where. Is another usenet poster who recognizes my under stated humor. Thank you.

.

Like bamboo!?!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

DadiOh is on the money.

Assuming the opportunistic seed-once-and-die wait-for-that-to-happen option isn't viable for you, you have no other choice but to kill the underground runners when they invade your space.

The trench won't stop them but it will make it easy for you to cut them. Likewise, the metal plates (angled so that the runners will follow that angle) will deflect them and/or make it easy for you to chop them.

And, as stated, pull or glyphosate anything that shows up on your lawn.

Good luck!

PS: "My" 12-foot-tall bamboo is very well behaved because it is enclosed in a concrete pen (all under the surface so it's not noticeable).

Reply to
Martin C.

Actually, this ain't such a bad idea as bamboo rods sell for literally thousands of dollars:

busbus