Hotpoint Refridgerator Overheating !

Hi all,

I've searched the archives, here, and find no mention of a similar problem, but hoped someone could help.

I have a Hotpoint CSF20EC side-by-side fridge/freezer, about 10 yrs old, whose vertical panel separating the two sides is extremely hot, where the insulating gasket of each door seats.

With adjustment, it's still freezing and maintaining temps, but I wonder what could be causing heat along the length of where each door seats ?

Any ideas ?

TIA

Reply to
Lee

There is usually an electric wire running through there (well on some reefers) that is supposed to stop sweating/freezing around the freezer door. If it went bad, it would sweat where that is and then freeze the door shut.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

JFYI. The divider between the 2 compartments is called the "mullion".

On most fairly current (and some older) models of refrigerators, part of the refrigeration system's condenser tubing heats that area instead of an electric heater. If the condenser isn't removing enough heat, it will cause that area to be come hotter than normal.

If that system is used in the OP's fridge, the condenser coil (under or behind the fridge) should be *thoroughly* cleaned and the condenser fan motor (if used) checked for proper operation.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi Dan, Doc

I appreciate the speedy replies ...

Dan O. wrote:

Thanks. Is there a separate term for the inch-wide panel of the mullion on each side, where the doors seat against ?

That sounds like a possibility, here. The seal is actually too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.

I have gotten the coil cleaned of all the dust and lint, without much effect. The panel is overheating even with the freezer off, and the fridge at the lowest setting. I have noticed a bit of a wind-down racket the fridge has been making, when it cycles off, across the last month or so ...

Might that be the fan motor, I wonder ? I haven't gotten to that, yet.

I'll look it over.

Aside with serviceable issues with the condenser fan motor, are there other issues that you know of that could result in overtaxing the unit this way? (Seals and gaskets are all good).

Thanks again, for the tips. I'm really trying to avoid the dreaded service call. ;)

Reply to
Lee

Hi,

That is part of the full model#.

yoder loop info that may help. Do make aure that condensor fan motor is working ok and not slow, clean off back and front part of the hot condensor tubing.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments, and the links. The schematics and full instructions were especially helpful, for this repair novice. ;)

This issue still has me beat, so far. All suggestions are welcome.

Lee

jeff wrote:

Reply to
Lee

Many thanks to Dr. Hardcrab, Dan O, and jeff, for helping out with this issue. After servicing the condensor fan motor, the problem has been fixed.

Lee

Lee wrote:

Reply to
Lee

You mean the front edge of the cabinet? If so, it's called the "yoder". It has a heater too and may actually be part of the mullion's refrigerant 'circuit'.

*Whenever* the compressor is running, that area will get hot.

That's about the only other thing that could cause your symptom (to the extent you say they are). You can read about replacing that condenser motor at the following link:

Replacing a Refrigerator Condenser Fan Motor

Probably should have looked into it before now?

That sound may be coming from the condenser fan motor... or the compressor. The latter might be the result created by the other not working properly.

Not usually to the extent you described. Door seals leaking warm air into the refrigerator constantly would cause the fridge to run more and have to remove more heat as could the interior light staying on. But the condenser should be able to deal with such added heat loads without the mullion getting inordinately hot in most cases.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Glad to hear it was something inexpensive like the condenser fan motor. Thanks for the follow up.

BTW. It's a good idea to keep that condenser clean to keep energy usage at a minimum.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

"Dan O." wrote

Yoder?!!!

I hardly even.....

(nevermind)

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Hi,

Glad to hear you got somewhere with it :)

Thankx for the update!!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff