Help with shower leak

We remodeled our master bath two years ago . All had seemed well until recently, when we pulled back the carpet in the neighboring bedroom and noticed the flooring there is wet and there might be the beginnings of dry rot. There is also some potential rot in the master bedroom closet (also next to the bath) between two subfloor boards- the wood is dark but is not soft. We aren't sure where the leak is coming from but are suspicious of some cracks in the grout on our shower step. We know it is not coming from the shower pan because it is a single synthetic piece. From what we can see - the damage appears limited to the flooring directly under the step, and does not extend into the area under the shower.

We are panicking a bit because we are getting ready to move across the country in just two weeks and wanted to get our house on the market ASAP after moving. We are not sure what to expect as far as what will it take to fix this problem. If we can identify the source of the leak and can fix it, will that be enough. Will we need to remove the subfloor that is wet? If so how extensive (and expensive) should we expect the repair to be. The tile in the shower (and bathroom floor) is so new and nice, so we hate to think of an extensive repair.

Reply to
julesm98

DO THE BASICS FIRST: Check your water meter's small red indicator for any hidden leak activity. or read all dials on the meter and read it again after a period of hours. With 2 people IN THE COMPLETELY DRY BATHROOM, SIT ON THE FLOOR WITH A REALLY POWERFUL FLASHLIGHT OR 500 WATT WORKLIGHT WHILE YOUR ASSISTANT TAKES A REGULAR COMPLETE SHOWER. whether you have a simple leak within the panel of a shower door or a simple trickle past a shower curtain is hard to find, but you might get that lucky in finding a misrouted drizzle of water at showertime. thanks to our neighbor big steve for spotting a leak at one of our apartments showers that was during use leaking at the panel onto the floor and into the floor. it's amazing how far that daily shower trickle spread. If no luck, WHO: first a good plumber who will isolate the problem source. second, your favorite home repair contractor with a crew. WHAT: tears up the bad and repairs and replaces including any and all hidden damage to floors, carpeting and padding as needed with your supervision. WHERE: in all rooms and bathroom and basement WHEN: right now not when you can't supervise this important repair. WHY: water [and mold] problems can become severe when let unattended. HOW: by paying a $$$ bonus for completion in 7 days. your headache will go away and needs to disappear. otherwise you will be heartbroken from a flunked inspection by a real serious buyer with a pre-approved mortgage and a purchase offer when he waves goodbye.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

One thing to check is the shower head extension. These extensions (the chrome pipe with a bend that comes through the wall and has the shower head screwed on the end) sometimes come loose where they are screwed into the fitting behind the wall. It can cause a small leak that occurs only when you're using the shower and often starts when someone adjusts the shower head too forcefully and turns the extension CCW a little bit. If it's loose, you have to be very careful when tightening it if you don't have access to the area where it screws into the fitting inside the wall because the fitting that it's screwed into may not be attached to the framing very well.

Just a thought...

Harry

Reply to
HarryS