HELP HELP anyone out there? Unions leaking on new hot water heater

I just connected my new hot water heater, and the hot/cold brass unions are leaking no matter how tight I tighten them. What could I have done wrong? All my solder is holding (so far). I'm afraid I'm going to twist the pipes right off if I tighten these things anymore. The last time I installed a hot water heater I used solid copper unions, which seem more flexible and forgiving. HELP I am about to cry.

Reply to
ConnetiCat

I've never done a new water heater install but did you use Teflon tape or a thread sealant?

stan

They are leaking between the 2 halves right? Not at the threaded joints. If thats so, then make sure the seating surfaces of each half is clean, shiney and no scores or dings. You're after a metal to metal seal here, so dont put any pipe dope or anything like that on them. sometimes a little (very little) smear of cooking oil or vasoline on the surfaces can help. If you way overtightened it you probably damaged the mating surfaces and its time for a new union. On a new one, tighten till snug, thats close enough. I find most people way over tighten every thing from bolts to pipes to oil filters. Eric

Reply to
Eric

And make sure the alignment is perfect. If they are off line, it can cause leaks although with copper there is some fiddle room.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Eric wrote in news:XOadnQa66L2g-MrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yep, and I've been guilty of both compression fittings and oil filters.

What seems to work for me:

Oil filters for 3/4 turn past contact - Mark it at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Contact then tighten 9 hrs ahead no matter how "loose" it may seem. Never leaks. Always comes off easy.

Compression fittings on water - If pkg says 1/2 turn past contact, that's it. No more no matter how "loose" it may seem. If it leaks (rare occurance) you can always give it another 1/16th turn. - for unspecified tightening, contact then just a very little more so it DOES leak. Tighten till it stops.

Like cutting lumber, you can always make it shorter.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

=A0- Hide quoted text -

For many installs, you don't even need unions, which are just an additional source or trouble. In many cases, with some ability to move the pipes a bit, you can just use solder type couplings.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

=A01/16th turn.

=A0 =A0- Hide quoted text -

Looks like the union itself is all schmugged up...there are big pits on one half from the manufacturing/casting. Bought a new union, will see how that works.

Reply to
ConnetiCat