heating up so slow

I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is

105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets 101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

Reply to
John Smith

=46rom what temp are you reheating, it sounds like you are one of the few with a properly sized furnace. Heating units should be sized to run near consistantly at the years coldest temp. Are you there yet?

Reply to
ransley

What did you expect an 8f hr. degree rise. Mine is near 2 hrf on total heat, you are kidding yourself and us here. Go to sleeep.

Reply to
ransley

Look at the Rating plate label on your furnace where the model, serial number, and electric ratings are. You will see a "temp rise" range of something like 35-65 or 40-70 etc. The air temperature going into your furnace and coming out should have a differential within that range while providing enough air flow to properly heat your home. Your 34 degrees just "aint goina cut it". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It sounds normal to me. The ideal system is the one that will take a long time to increase the temperature. Oversize units will heat fast, but they also will be less able to maintain any specific temperature and will be less efficient. It sounds like yours is good.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

John-

Sounds about right...as everyone has posted.

You want a system that can just barely keep up on the coldest day in its design life.

I've done some heating experiments in a couple homes and 4 degrees per hour is about in the middle of the performance I've measured.

When I allow my house to "soak" for a weekend away & the outside temp is in the low 50's, high 40's the house settles near 50..... brrrrr!

My home heats at about 6 deg per hour...... approx 1 deg rise in 10 minutes. I have run this experiment a couple times.

During "normal" duty it runs about 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off.

When its really cold outside (well, cold for SoCal, low 30's). The gas furnace runs nearly constantly to keep the house at 62 over night)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

As usual mr. Meehan is wrong. If I had a model number I could tell you what the temp rise should be but the usual temp rise is about 70 degrees which yours is nowhere near if your readings are correct.

Reply to
HVACTECH2

Bzzzzttt! Wrong answer Joseph. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner (although the 70 is usually a range such as 40 - 70) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bzzzztttt! Wrong answer Bob. Try again. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

BobK207 wrote in news:a56a44ef-7e6f-4a42-babd- snipped-for-privacy@q21g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Sounds about right...for AC on the warmest day.

Reply to
Red Green

Red-

How about a real answer?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Bubba-

While the temperature rise across the furnace is important and too little can indicative of an under performing system, does that really tell the whole story?

I know you HVAC guys think you have a monopoly on all knowledge HVAC but maybe a you should consider a little thermo / heat transfer.....you know, think outside of your box.

Could it be possible that a furnace with too little temperature rise can still heat the house adequately?

Or could a furnace with "correct" temp rise be incapable of heating the house adequately?

hmmm?

Maybe the temperature rise (per time unit) of the house is important too? Kind of an overall performance measure?

hmmm?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thanks for your responses. My furnace is Trane xv80. I did an Internet search and found the temperature rise to be 30 - 60 degrees. Mine is 34 degrees. It is within the spec, albeit at the low end. Should I worry about it?

Reply to
John Smith

John-

Per the service visit & the info you found on the web (did you confirm it against the furnace rating label?) the furnace performance is within spec.

Reply to
BobK207

These are 2 stage furnaces. is the second stage working?

Reply to
HVACTECH2

In addition to knowing the air temperature out of the furnace you need to know how much air is flowing. It doesn't matter what the air temperature is if there isn't enough mass flowing; the heating will be insufficient. Also, since the measurements you have were obtained during the summer, you may have heat loss due to poor duct placement and/or lack of insulation. Measure the air temperature into the living space at several locations and coming from the furnace (at the furnace) to assess this.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

What Darrell said. I just learned the "check the gas meter" trick a couple weeks ago.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon