Hang Cabinet with Cardboard backing, suggestions?

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link). The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges. Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these, I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

Reply to
Albert

You might be refering to a French Cleat:

However, the cleat mounts interior to the rear edge of the top, so you would need to cut into the rear of the cubbies to mount the cleat.

What about a nice looking shelf? Add a little velcro on the upper back of the unit to keep it against the wall. Something like this, only deeper.

DerbyDad03

I'd mount a shelf first, set the cabinet on it, then put some angle brackets on the inside to hold it from falling forward. That "melamine wood shell" may be covered particle board with no real strength to hold it own weight with something screwed into it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agree with the 'put it on a shelf' crowd. This thing is crap, and won't even hold its own weight, much less fully loaded, mounted by the back or edges. My advice to OP- if you haven't bought it yet, keep looking. Most towns have a used office furniture store, and some sort of mail-sorting rack from a failed business, shouldn't be too hard to track down. Or if cost isn't an issue, old-style metal racks ares still available from a real office furniture supply, or online. If you need a pretty one, trivial for any local cabinet maker to run one up to fit, out of slotted plywood and real masonite shelves that will outlive the cardboard thing at staples. It'd be the exact dimensions and exact number of bins you need, and will only cost a few dollars more. And you can screw it right to the studs through the back of the box before you slide all the shelves in. Looks like a single sheet of plywood, and one sheet of masonite, would easily do it all. A good table saw would be the only woodshop needed, and a little careful layout work.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers