General computer question

Right now I have two separate computers; both Intel Pentium IV's running Windows XP. Both have two PS2 ports; one designated for a PS2 mouse, and the other for a PS2 keyboard. I also have an IOGear KVM switch that has PS2 ports on it. I connect both computer's mouse and keyboard PS2 ports to the KVM switch, and their VGA video ports as well, plug my PS2 mouse and keyboard into the KVM switch (along with the monitor) and I can switch between the two computers just by hitting the Ctrl key on my keyboard twice.

Now, I was thinking I might buy another computer for Boxing Day, but what I am noticing is that few computers nowadays come with PS2 ports for mouse and keyboard. In fact, I looked at one today that had 4 USB ports at the back and two USB ports in front, but no PS2 ports at all.

Now, if I buy that computer, and also buy a USB mouse and USB keyboard, does it matter which USB ports I plug my mouse and keyboard into? Or does it not matter because Plug 'N Play automatically determines what's plugged into each USB port every time I boot up that computer?

Now, I understand that both PS2 and USB are serial ports. I was wondering whether I could continue to use the same mouse and keyboard if I bought two female PS2 to male USB adapters, like this one:

to just plug my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard into any of the USB ports on the new computer.

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work, but didn't provide any reason. They tell me I need to buy a new KVM switch that uses USB ports for both mouse and keyboard instead of PS2 ports. Can anyone see any way I can use a new computer that doesn't have PS2 ports with a KVM switch that only has PS2 and VGA ports?

Reply to
nestork

You need to buy either a new kvm or a computer with PS2 ports. Most "business class" computers still have PS2 connectors. In particular the Acer VM4630 supports both

Reply to
clare

nestork presented the following explanation :

If you have these 2 computers on a network then you might use Maxivista

Then you can use only one Keybord and one mouse although it is handy to keep the other mouse connected to get out of trouble occasionally. The keyboard follows the mouse pointer across the 2 screens.

Reply to
John G

We own a computer business that supplies systems, software, and service to government offices, banks, telephone companies, many more types of businesses and of course individuals and your answer is "NO".

You need to purchase a new KVM switch, mouse, and keyboard. There is a SLIGHT chance that you could find a new system that would accept PS2 ports but if your current mouse and/or keyboard ever went bad you would have a hard time finding either with PS2 connectors.

Reply to
IGot2P

Depending on the details of your actual configuration, there's another option. If your monitor has multiple input ports that you can switch between, you don't need the KVM for that. Or you can use the KVM for video only, but then you'll need access to the box to switch monitors. Install a program called "synergy". It can give you seamless mouse integration over the network for several systems. Don't know the limit...I've never tried more than four. And the keyboard follows the mouse. Downside is that you have to run the main system to use the slave.

There's another program called zonescreen that lets you export your video output to the display on another machine. Not much experience with that one.

Not for everybody, but worth a look.

And do you need speakers/audio switched?

There's also VNC that gives you direct GUI screen/keyboard/mouse integration over the network. Won't be effective for high bandwidth video, but depending on the interactivity you require, it can be useful. I have my linux machine in a closet accessed via VNC and synergy linking the two windows machines.

Reply to
mike

The only solution I can think of is this:

It may be a less expensive than purchasing a new KVM switch plus USB mouse and USB keyboard.

Reply to
philo

Your new machine of course must have a free (standard) PCI slot available

Reply to
philo

Any USB slot will do.

My preference is for a wired KB, wireless mouse. Some wireless mice (mouses?) now come with a really tiny receiver...especially nice on a laptop since it doesn't stick out.

Reply to
dadiOH

I am using a KVM switch that has both PS/2 and USB connectors for keyboard and mouse, and USB connections to two computers.* I bought it at MicroCenter more than a decade ago and have no idea of the brand name, but one of the computers with which I use it identifies it as a "TangTop," yet I don't know whether any are sold under that name -- I'm certain that that was not the name under which MicroCenter sold it.

*This enables me to keep using my fully programmable "Gateway 2000" keyboard which has 12 function keys on the left (which is where they were intended to be) in addition to the useless ones along the top..

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Per nestork:

Some years back, I was where you are now: Multiple PC's and a switch to jump back-and-forth.

Then I discovered TeamViewer....

It's free, and it does the job: almost instantaneous connection, works locally or remotely, the connections can be left active so it's just a matter of switching windows (i.e. even faster that a manual switch)...

As far as I can see, there is just no downside compared to a switch.

The only fly in the ointment so far has been a customer that will not let me TeamViewer into my PC at their site. Instead, I have to connect using one of their PCs over VPN... and they don't want TeamViewer on one of their PCs.

The solution to that has been my existing keyboard/mouse setup: a "Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1" and a monitor that supports both DVI and analog inputs.

I can re-plug the single USB connector for the keyboard/mouse just about as fast as I can flip a switch. For the monitor, I connect my monitor's DVI port to my PC and it's analog port to the customer's PC. Takes a couple of seconds to tell the monitor to swap inputs, but it's livable.

So, for your situation... bottom line.... TeamViewer. It's a no-brainer as far as I can see.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

KVM switches can be wonky depending on how much you spend for one. I bought an inexpensive USB KVM switch from Amazon and tried it on the two Dell mini towers on my roommate's desk. It would only work to switch the video and sound. I sold it to a customer for use with his HP mini tower and security system DVR and it switched the the video and keyboard but the mouse was jerky. He had two mice anyway so it was no problem. I will try some other KVM switches that cost a bit more and will see how they work. Amazon has a very good return policy so the risk of getting a switch that won't work out is minimal. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Reply to
clare

The keyboard and mouse don't cost antyhing when you buy a packaged system as they are included.

Reply to
clare

The only problem with team viewer and any other "software" solution is booting the computer if it is on a network or requires entry of a password or any other keyboard input to boot.

Reply to
clare

Dell and HP - no wonder!!!!

Reply to
clare
[snip]

The little "adapters" that come with some mice are only plug adapters and don't change protocols (which are very different). They work only if the mouse (or KVM switch) is capable of operating in either mode.

IIRC, the mouse operates as a PS2 device until it receives the initialization command sent by a USB controller.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That is "wake". How do you START the computer with no keyboard or mouse (or monitor to knoow if it HAS started)?

Might work - but it sounds too much like VMWare with no monitor to me. If it doesn't work you have no idea what didn't work.

Reply to
clare

No the little adapter that connects a USB mouse to a PS2 port will connect any PS2 mouse to a USB port - the usb port does the negotiating.

My experience has beeh the mouse doesn't operate AT ALL untill the USB controller recognizes it and the OS installs the driver/starts the service. Same with the keyboard

Reply to
clare

That sounds like the problem I had with the Cirque touchpad. When windows booted, it changed the mode. The kvm switch to linux got all confused. And all the cool features quit working.

Reply to
mike

I have an external ps2 keyboard/mouse to usb converter that seems to work well. Belkin F5U119-E

Have no idea what happens when you add a KVM to the mix.

Reply to
mike