Garage Floor Heating / GHP

I'm planning on building a home in the not too distant future and would like to heat the attached garage. I'm also planning on going with a geothermal heat pump to cut back on utility costs. One of the selling points of the heat pumps is "free" hot water. My question is this: Would a GHP of the size needed to heat/cool the house produce enough extra hot water to keep a 2 car garage floor heated in the winter via piping runs in the cement, or would I have to upsize the GHP unit to handle both chores? Thanks for any input!

Reply to
Doug Platz

You get "free" hot water in the cooling months, not during the heating months! You will need to size the equipment according to the cooling/heating load, so if you want to heat the garage you will need a larger, or a second heat pump. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You need a qualifed person to do a load calculation, slab on grade garage will be alot of extra heat needed. I had a basement floor put in and used foamboard under the concrete for insulation , it is common for radiant, I dont know how well it would work in a garage but you will be transfering in alot of cold from the ground, loosing alot of heat.

Reply to
m Ransley

Of course you have to upsize if the original pump is designed just for the house. Look at insulating the floor or you will have to upgrade quite a bit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski