Further Water Woes in Under Construction Home

Well, the vinyl siding was installed a couple weeks ago, but there are still holes, big ones, in the roof where the vent pipes go through. Is it common (or even acceptable) practice to leave these holes open after siding? It has been raining, a lot. And I'm getting a little tired of the builder telling me that it's not a problem that the floor is getting wet almost daily. That 'sweet' smell of wet wood can't be a good thing. Or am I worried about nothing? TIA.

---Mick

Reply to
Mick

Mick wrote:>Well, the vinyl siding was installed a couple weeks ago, but there are still

Siding isn't roofing. Are these vent pipes coming through a wall horizontally, or through a roof deck vertically? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Geez, what are they 8' by 10'? Get over yourself.

All the lumber used in home sonstruction sat outside for weeks, possibly months before it was all put together to form a shell. Were you stalking the lumberyards pre-construction and bellyaching then too?

Not to mention how well trees seem to handle the great outdoors...

I'll bet you freak out when even so much as a drop of water condenses off a beer can, dontcha?

Are you kidding? It's a beautiful thing.

You, like many homeowners, know little to nothing about the construction process. You're acting like a math teacher trying to grade a history exam. You don't even know if your own complaint is warranted, but damn it you're gonna keep on complaining until you hear the answers you want to hear, even if they're wrong.

So there's no way to satisfy you.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Nope. Just big enough to create nice 8' by 10' ponds on the floor every time it rains. Go screw yourself.

That lumber in the yard wasn't both wet and enclosed. You could have answered the question instead of ranting. I'll ask again, since you seem to be slow on the uptake... Is it normal practice to leave holes in the roof after the siding is up? I doubt it, but wanted a neutral party answer from someone other than me or my builder.

That's very helpful. Thanks.

Not to me. Maybe to you, since you seem to hate homeowners. Piss in any corners lately?

That's why I'm asking the question here. Which by the way, you didn't answer. Ass.

You could answer the question or shut up. Either would do.

Reply to
Mick

Tom, The pipes are coming through the roof vertically, but the holes around them are still open. And the siding has gone up. So I wanted to know if it's normal to leave those holes open after the siding is up. Some folks had previously advised not to worry about water, as long as the siding isn't up yet. Well, it's up now, and there's still water....

---Mick

Reply to
Mick

Those holes should be flashed by the roofers. Is the roof even on yet, or is it just felted? If it's felted, someone good could install the flashings temporarily. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Tom, The roof has been up (shingled) for several weeks. And the vent pipe holes have been there for almost as long. Siding went up a couple weeks ago. Thanks.

---Mick

Reply to
Mick

Doesnt pipe flashing go under roofing, before the roof, im no roofer but its easier that way. Anyway water really wont hurt anything it isnt something to worry about right now.

Reply to
m Ransley

If the contractor/roofing sub didn't flash the vent stacks as they shingled around them, they are slobs. Part of the job, and done best as each course is laid down.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

aem, Actually, the roof was shingled before the holes were cut. Is this common? Thanks.

---Mick

Reply to
Mick

Holes should have been cut first , thats the problem, then the vent flashing goes on then the roof. Now the roof must be pulled back for the flasing to fit underneath. Still not worth worring about , im sure the builder is fully aware.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Brikp

I'll concur that the poster's a jerk, but guy. Relax.

Drywall can't get wet. Cabinets shouldn't get wet.

Subflooring should be dry before they put the flooring on.

Beyo>

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes