Frigidaire Quality?

Shopping for a side-by-side refrigerator. The model which best meets our specs is a Frigidaire, but I know nothing about their quality. Anyone have experience with this brand?

Reply to
BillJ

Frigidaire is on the bottom end of the "name brand" appliances. I've heard a number of not so good things about their refrigerators, but I guess you are getting what you pay for. I've had a kitchenaid for 5 years, never a hitch. Good luck. David

Reply to
Dave

Hi,

Some consumers opinions may help....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Not the best brand at all. Used to be about 30+ years ago when it was a part of General Motors. It is now owned by Electrolux. They have gone through many different corporate owners and name changes and make appliances under various names, Frigidaire being one of them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We bought a Frigidaire from Sears about 6 months ago. It works, but makes strange noises from time to time. A good feature is the coils are on the back, making it easy to clean. I don't like the draws which are short, allowing for the compressor. The temp seems to vary quite a bit. Romaine lettuce seems to suffer (black slimey leaves) if left on the bottom shelf but are OK anywhere else. The electricity use estimate on the sticker was exactly right based on a Kill-A-Watt meter.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

This is Turtle.

15 to 20 years ago Frigidaire was one of the best name brands known to man. Know a days after the buy out of Frigidaire some time back they turned into one of the cheapest pieces of equipment known to man. Frigidaire did buy out other company also Maytag and G/E and all are the same. Any Brand not made by Frigidaire or subs is always better equipment. Sorry but this is a stiff statement.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The Frigidaire frig sitting in my kitchen has been working without any problems for the last 13 years. Even the ice maker just keeps churning out ice. Can not speak for other people or todays models. Stan

Reply to
Anonymous

All the "major brands" seem to be of very high quality and have parts that are reasonable obtainable. If you don't want to pay too much for parts, stay away from the lesser known brands and real high end stuff (the quality may be good but replacement parts may be harder to find).

Base your descision on features, energy rating, price and style.

Reply to
AutoTracer

I agree, they are the botttom of the list of the major brands. Get something else if you want it to last.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thank you for asking this question! I have to chime in on this one. We have a fairly new Frigidaire dishwasher, stove and refrigerator that we bought new when we moved into our house. They're all the absolute worst appliances I've ever owned. In spite of ample hot water, we have to wash most of our dishes before we wash them (!), the stove's thermostat blew one month after the warranty was up ($196 repair), and our frost free refrigerator has to be defrosted about every 6-8 weeks or it'll stop cooling altogether. I hope someone kicks me in the butt if I EVER entertain the thought of buying another Frigidaire appliance. (At least a new one; I can't speak about their older products.)

Please spend more or even buy a nice quality used appliance. You won't regret it. We were cheap and now paying for it. If we could afford new appliances we'd GIVE these things away.

Reply to
Dee

I have Frigidaire appliances and so far (1.5 years) everything is fine. But then again, these are fairly nice Frigidaire appliances, perhaps they are better.

Reply to
scott_z500

Yes, in all fairness, when I say we went cheap, I'm talking low-end. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I want to be fair.

Reply to
Dee

I agree. I just bought a Frigidaire gas range, and it is very high quality. I don't have enough time with it to say what the durability is, but initial quality is very good.

Milos

This is Turtle.

A new broom Always sweeps clean but time will tell. They don't make anything Lower End than Frigidaire but some work fine.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

We have a Frigidaire and we've had one before in our other house. They do last a long time but they also make strange noises.

Reply to
Dorot29701

It helps if the bodies are dead when you stuff them in the freezer.

Reply to
G Henslee

"Yes, in all fairness, when I say we went cheap, I'm talking low-end. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I want to be fair. "

That's why I specifically stated that I bought higher end Frigidaire stuff. Since It's just me and I don't cook much I suspect that my Fridigaire oven will last quite some time.

Reply to
scott_z500

As a repair guy, I like Whirlpool best. Seem to be dpendable, and fairly easy to repair.

GE, I like the least. Well, them and anything Shears and Roebuck (anyone old enough to remember that name?). I used to work for Shears, and I don't like how they make off spec parts, that you can't get any where but Shears.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Frigidare seems to make good refrigerators, but not much else. Most of their other appliances weren't as nice and were also rated pretty low by Consumer Reports. I'd recommend you check the mag out for info like this.

Reply to
MrC1