Fridge making noise.

Kenmore side by side about 12 years old, about a week ago it starts making a rattle when running. Still keeping everything cold. Doesnt seem to run any more frequently just loudly when it does, the noise will also fade in and out occasionally. My wife complains of an acrid odor (its too faint for my to detect) that suggests possible motor trouble.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be, I am going to see if I can locate the fans and bearings tonight and have a look but I would love to know if anyone has a suggestion.

My running assumption is that a bearing is failing, and this sometimes causes stress on the motor. That would explain why the noise changes and why the smell isnt stronger.

Any help greatly appreciated

Ghostwriter

Reply to
ghostwriter

The refridgerator motors I've seen were sealed in steel. You can't see the bearings.

Reply to
Robert Miles

"I don't remember the exact URL or I'd post it, but there's actually a troubleshooting guide on the 'net for refrigerators. I had to use it when I first moved in here to get some ideas as to why water was running from the bottom of the fridge (turns out, someone had removed the drain cup from inside the compartment, and the defrost water was running into the bottom of the fridge and out the corner.)

Did a quick search. Try these:"

Rowan Hawthorn

Are you sure it isn't just the drip tray under the fridge? Those things will set up a heluva racket. The rubber feet may have come loose so it is banging around on the bottom coil unit.

Reply to
gfretwell

I once had a cardboard cookie box fall between the rear external coils and the wall. It made a buzzing sound we could hear in the next room.

Reply to
PanHandler

I don't think it is a bearing making noise in the refrigerator. It's July and you have a Kenmore. What's most likely is that the freezer is in heat, and is attracting the refrigerator side. What you describe are typical courting noises.

Do you have a child at college or family rec room? Whatever, you can probably find some use for the 1.2 cubic ft. refrigerator that should be due about the start of September.

Reply to
mm

Reply to
Wanderer

ROTFL! Sending kids off to college fully equipped is how middle-aged people get new furniture. And appliances.

Reply to
stshaffer

stshaffer wrote in news:q%Ztg.79929$1i1.15483@attbi_s72:

Don't forget new cars.

Reply to
Sagittaria

Younger people, OTOH, get new furniture and appliances when the crap their parents pawned off on them finally breaks :-).

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Repair it if you wish, but check our

New friges do save you 66% or so if yours is a less efficient design which it likely is, It could have a major payback, even a better investment than most anything else, even your stocks. New "Energy Star" rated equipment is often the best option over old energy hogs.

Reply to
m Ransley

Years ago when I was at my girlfriend's house for dinner, her fridge kept giving off this horrific odor. My question, "When was the last time you emptied the bottom tray?" "Bottom Tray ~ what do you mean?" Getting down on my hands and knees I pulled out something that nearly made me pass out. Ten years of neglect, it was filled with slime and mold.

Her husband carefully took it outside and hosed it down. She didn't talk to me for a week, because she was so embarrassed. In retrospect I should have allowed her to deal with it after we went home. It is a joke between us now and yes she does clean the bottom tray. Bette

Reply to
Bette

Hey, the furniture and appliances that my mother gave me when I left home--twenty very odd years ago---work just GREAT. That stuff is virtually indestructible. Even their old Plymouth would probably still be working now, if I hadn't given up on it (it sure lasted longer than the Mazda I replaced it with!).

Desideria

Reply to
Desideria