filling up a swimming pool

Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

Reply to
kalpanaali

a lot depends on what the pool is made of.

A concrete pool you can knock down the top foot or two of the walls, punch a few dainage holes in the bottom , lagre stone fill, small stone fill and topsoil and it disappears completely.

You are probably talking a few hundred dollars , most of that delivery fees.

The cost will be much higher if the dumptruck does not have direct access to the pool.

Add another $200 for a bobcat,

Reply to
marks542004

I should have said , take the pool length in yards , width in yards and depth of 5 yards (15feet) to get cubic yards of fill.

figure 1 yard depth of soil and the balance stone fill.

so L x W x 4 + cubicx yards fill

and L x W x 1 for soil

a yard of soil is more than ya need for grass but will support small shrubs and trees .

you could go down to 18" or even 12" for grass. maybe 6" of good topsoil with the rest a lower grade dirt.

Reply to
marks542004

You want the short answer or the long answer?

You want ridiculous speculation or you want facts?

Let's start with the ridiculous short speculation first .....

Just fill it in.

Now for the facts:

Filling in a swimming pool is not a simple thing. A friend of mine is president of a HOA, and they want to fill in three. Price per each, done according to code, $115,000 per pool.

If you ever want to sell the house, you must disclose the pool's existence. At that time, depending on the lender, they may want you to redo the work according to code. A cash buyer may not, but you may take a hit on the price.

Doing it according to code means this: A licensed contractor comes in and digs up all the stuff. They test the soil. They fill one foot of depth at a time, and a county test agent does a compaction test on it every foot.

I know because we had a pool removed, and built an add on over the space. That is what was required.

So, it depends on what you are going to do with the space, what your local laws are, if you ever intend to sell, and if you do ever sell do you intend to lie on the disclosure and ask, "Pool, what pool?" Which anyone who knows how to search public records could find. It is probably permanently in your county records of the history of the house, and will pop out forever in a real estate agent's investigation of the house records.

I'd ask around where you live first, and not put too much stock in answers you get here. This is no small thing regarding your house, and it CAN surface later to bite you in a very painful place.

HTH.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hmmmm! Seems rather exorbitant.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

You could have two acres of land sculpted with a bulldozer for half of that, at least in NY. Where was that price quote good for? What city & state?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. But if you want it done according to the rules and laws of Clark County, Nevada, that is what a contractor wants. Even the Board of Health gets involved. $115,000 each was the low bid, too, and that does not include studies or permits.

Even more ridiculous, the HOA first has to have a 100% unanimous agreement, with signed statements, that there is not ONE homeowner that considers the removal of the three pools to be a "downgrade" of the property. If one owner protests, they CAN NOT remove the pools.

The consideration for removal of the pools is because of the aging population of the owners, advancing pool maintenance costs, replastering, service, maintaining all the iron fencing that is rusting, and the 30 year age of the property which means that everything is wearing out or falling down daily. The monthly HOA dues are reaching critical mass, but it is just because there is so much to be maintained, and it costs so much.

In the old days, one would just fill a pool in. Welcome to today. The OP stated they were in California, which has their own special rules governing everything. The California Environmental Impact Studies will be $100,000 by itself! Then there will be the relocation costs for the insects and rodents displaced by the construction project. Easily another $100,000. This could affect the watering habits of pigeons in the area, thus requiring a special FEDERAL variance, another $100,000. And if it is proven the removal of the pool affects any endangered species, the whole house may just have to be buried...................... ;-)

There is nothing simple any more. Don't you love progress, civilization, and the advances of humanity?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

I think we should start up a new company in Clark County, Nevada before this gold mine goes away. I thought Collier Country, Florida was ridiculous (and it is, but pales by comparison).

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Las Vegas, Nevada

Reply to
Steve B

"Charles Schuler" wrote

IIRC, 7,000 people a month move to Las Vegas presently. The population is projected to be 4.3 million by 2030.

Lots of people come here every day and start up new companies.

Some of them even speak English.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
buffalobill

Same here. Nature abhors a vacuum:

It's the ones who speak English who make the really big bucks.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Would make a nice wine seller, Bomb shelter or storage room.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Thank you for reminding me why I'd never live where there is an HOA.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Amen to that. But, I'll admit that I am in that situation (for the second time) and will simply offer that life is a series of uncomfortable compromises. Happiness is finding the set of compromises that are the least onerous.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I will admit I didnt think of permits and such . Where I live you can still do a lot of stuff without a lot of red tape.

The only thing I could find locally is a 2' dig requirement . That is NOTHING is allowed within two feet of the ground level unless it shows above grade. So if you have post in the ground you cant just cut it off and bury it , youhave to dig it out.

Your local town planning office is an obvious place to start .

Reply to
marks542004

What is the size of the pools including deck area?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"Ashton Crusher" wrote

I would estimate them to be 10,000 square feet or so.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B spake thus:

[...]

I think you're making this stuff up as you go along.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You don't think ................. ;-)

The previous I made up, but the part about the contractor wanting $115,000 each to fill three swimming pools at some nearby condos according to local code is a true story.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B