electrician, breaker and amps question regarding cost...

For our business. we had a 30 amp breaker put in at one point and 30 feet of coiled wiring ran to our server room...

This was to be for a UPS which required a 30 amp breaker..

Since that time, we opted to go with a very large ups.. which requires a 60 amp breaker.. (and heavier gauge wiring, i believe)..

We have had a few quotes so far..

It seems they would have to rewire the 30 foot distance, hardware into the back of the UPS and change the breaker from 30 to 60...

So far, quotes range from $1000-$1300 for this work..

Does this seem right? Is it that much more expensive (equipment cost?) from a 30 to 60 amp breaker? IE: i think the original work was around $450?

I should add, this is a 220volt line (208?).. i forget the exact value, but 2PH+G on the ups connection end..

Thanks in advance

Reply to
markm75

Well, the wire and breakers are pretty expensive; perhaps it'd make more sense if you asked for the estimate to be itemized?

Reply to
TWayne

Hmm. Let's see:

Breaker: $13.00

50' spool, 6/3, $130.00
to replace breaker, remove and retighten six screws: $1100.00.

Sounds about right...

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
RBM

HeyBub posted for all of us...

Wait a minute! This is commercial so it is a pipe job and we can't see it. Copper prices go up too.

Reply to
Tekkie®

A residential breaker is $13, but a commercial breaker is much more. It may need this one

for $260. They also have some that top $400.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is conduit involved? If so is it an easy run? On the surface the cost you were quoted sounds high but there may be some things you have not considered. I would definately get another estimate if it is an easy install.

Reply to
misterjustme

I'm not 100% up on conduit.. but by conduit, i'm assuming you mean cable ran inside a shielded tube essentially.. as of now this is how it is, with the 30amp wiring from a year ago.. so it would be conduit again i assume.

The $260 breaker sounds more realistic.. so $260 + $130 wire... $390 total, plus $100 per hour labor.. assume 2 hours max.. thats still $590, not $1100.. but perhaps the conduit is pricey too..

We are on our 3rd quote now.. waiting on them to come out.. the first was $1300, then $1000-$1100 (forget exactly).. the 2nd electrician was basically rude and refused to answer any questions regarding exact details.

Reply to
markm75

Conduit is a metal or plastic pipe through which the wiring is run.

Conduit is cheap. Fishing it through walls takes way more than 2 hours. You're paying for 1/2 day of labor for 2 people...

Reply to
mkirsch1

Well work often takes longer than expected? Something has to be moved around in the circuit breaker panel? Time travelling to/from location,

30 mins each way or longer? Time to identify and pick out or go to supplier to get specific materials? Miscellaneous materials? etc. etc. Also the electrician's company has to make sufficient mark up on say half a day's work to pay, licensing fees, truck expense, insurance and so forth. Also it sounds like a commercial location so is essential the work be done to UL standards etc. acceptable to building owner and building insurer.
Reply to
terry

But he's already got a cable. Isn't it a simple matter of attaching the new wire to the old wire and giving the combination a yank from the other end?

Well, okay, bends and such. and maybe the new wire won't FIT in the existing conduit, but, shucks, seems like most of the work is already done.

Reply to
HeyBub

There are always unknowns but the $1100 sounds high even with an expensive breaker. My electrician is $65/hour and he does not charge travel time since he lives 10 minutes away. I'd guess it is a $600 or less job based on past experience. OTOH, if I called an electrician out of the phone book it may well be $1000. A one shot job always costs more than having a regular relationship with a tradesman.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm pretty sure the old wire has to be either left where it is or replaced with this thicker gauge..

In regards to the running through the walls and ceiling.. even though the total length is 30 feet, its actually quite the easy run.. the server room is 7 feet on the other side of the wall from where the breaker is.. its as simple as a ladder in the breaker room.. remove 3 tiles from the ceiling across the hall and down the wall in the server room.. I've ran network cabling to the same location.. it didnt take two hours.. perhaps electrical runs are more difficult.. again i'm not an electrician, just seeking a general opinion that is all.. without being flamed :)

Reply to
markm75

Probably need new conduit; bigger wire and all that. Probably isn't a straight run either, takes time to bend conduit as well. Makes you wish you'd known what you needed back when you started.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Copper prices are actually coming down.

Reply to
RT

If it is one set of wires running down conduit, wouldn't it be VERY easy to pull thicker wire with the old wires ? Sounds fishy to me. What kind of breaker is in it now ? Commercial or residential ? Seems it can be done MUCH cheaper.

yeah, run from him. He knows he's ripping you off. Get a detailed quote. Itemized and describing what they are going to do .

Reply to
RT

sounds like it can be done MUCH cheaper.

Reply to
RT

If there is conduit involved and you are upsizing the service then the previously run pipe may be too small. If they are not running new conduit then the job is definately overpriced.

Reply to
misterjustme