EARTHQUAKE

At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.

Reply to
Eagle

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada, and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean. Perhaps some more information is in order. What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible ("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :<

Reply to
Don Y

Sorry 'bout that. Since I am in So. Cal. I assume everyone here knows that. Afterall, I was #8 in the post parade, no? :D

It was a 4.5 on the richter scale, and it was located about 4 miles north-northwest of Banning, 6 miles northeast of Beaumont and 9 miles east-southeast of Yucaipa, Southern California. No one was injured.

There you go Stormy...more better?

Reply to
Eagle

Everyone in the mid west think earthquakes are the reason they will never go to So. Cal. but I think the tornadoes the mid west have to deal with is way more destructive than the earthquakes we get here in Southern California. That's not to say earthquakes aren't destructive or scarry, they most certainly are, but the damage from earthquakes compared to tornado damage or cyclone [hurricane] damage is small. Yes, there have been some real nasty shakers here in the past like the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it hit. That shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz Freeway (Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994; "On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California, killing 54 people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The Northridge quake (named after the San Fernando Valley community near the epicenter) was one of the most damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...

Eagle

Tornados tend to be highly localized (and, only strike trailer parks! :> ). Hurricanes being much broader in their impact (and, usually flood damage instead of the "percussive" damage from flying stuff)

A friend rode out Andrew ('92) and said it was an interesting experience. I think having to cower in an interior room would sort of defeat the experience... all you'd (hopefully!) experience was noise and some shaking -- wouldn't be able to SEE what was happening.

Supposedly, the New Madrid fault just due south of IL has some potential for significant damage. OTOH, the populations affected, there, aren't what they would be in (anywhere!) Calif.

The idea of the *ground* moving is just fascinating to me! It's one thing to be on a man-made structure and experience motion (Harvard Bridge, Royal Gorge Bridge, tall buildings, etc.); yet another to be on "solid ground" and feel it move!

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y formulated the question :

It IS an interesting experience! I remember a 6.2 shaker in 1970 when the brand new freeway overpass in Northern Los Angeles fell. We were in bed on the second floor when it hit, and I watched our building rock back and forth, bang! bang! and the street rolled like waves for a good

2 minutes. It was fun!
Reply to
Eagle

Lost your google? He said "Lake Elsonore". How much more precise can you get?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If you cancel a game due to weather, you're not taking the game seriously.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yeah...

Reply to
Eagle

The Harvard Bridge (Cambridge-Boston, MA) sort of "floats". When you walk on it, passing traffic causes the bridge to "bounce". So, you have this competing rhythm that screws up your walking pace; instead of "step, step, step" it's "step - boing - step - boing, boing - step". It can be disturbing the first time you encounter it.

The "roadway" of the Royal Gorge Bridge is built of *planks* laid on steel supports. So, when the (occasional, touristy) car drives by, the planks flex and lift you up a bit. As they are only ~10-12 inches wide, you can visibly watch the ripple in the roadway as the car advances past you. At ~1000ft to the river below, you really wish they'd opted to use something other than LUMBER!!

I'd like to be in an open field (away from buildings that might tumble) to experience an earthquake. To be able to *think* about what is happening and "gather data" (observations) to try to rationalize what my body would be feeling. (having to worry about my personal safety would sort of hamper that!)

Reply to
Don Y

Or the bigger one in 1972 (Sylmar), which provided a set for an episode of Mission Impossible (the hold VA hospital that collapsed). There was also 1987 (Wittier Narrows, my first).

Or long beach in the 30's.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Someday CA is going to crack off from the rest of the U.S. and will then become a country of their own. That's why they already have their own political system which greatly varies from that of the rest of the U.S. I always wondered why so many products say something like "this faucet does not comply with California building codes because it contains lead". That tells me that either anyone living in the other 49 states are immune to the effects of lead, or else those in CA have weaaker immune systems.

Once CA cracks off from the rest of the U.S. will they still be part of the U.S. government, or will they become a separate nation, with it's own president and laws?

This may sound far fetched, but it's not as crazy as it appears. Look at the southern (or south American) part of CA that extends down into the ocean. (I cant remember the name of that). It's obvious that piece of land was once attached to the main body of South America, and broke off somewhere in history, probably thousands of years ago.

Because of the placement of the plates (fault line) on the West coast, it's not as crazy as it may seem, that eventually CA will break away from the rest of the U.S. However, if you who live there think you'll soon be free of Washington DC and it's politics, dont count on it. I doubt any of this will occur in our lifetimes. But there will still continue to be small and sometimes larger quakes along that fault line.

No matter where we live, there will always be the possibility of disasters on Earth. If it's not earthquakes, it's tornados, hurricanes, floods, and so on. And if the Earth itself dont do enough damage, it appears that there will always be wars and man-made disasters because people cant get along with each other.

Reply to
Paintedcow

The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the washing machine was in spin cycle, but there was no load in the machine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I set down my google last week, not been able to find it since.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hate it when that happens.

Reply to
Eagle

Don Y submitted this idea :

I don't think mother nature will satisfy your dream, Don... ^^

Reply to
Eagle

I know...a game is more important than some crack in the ground.

Reply to
Eagle

Shake and bake! :-?

Reply to
Eagle

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc laid this down on his screen :

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Reply to
Eagle