Drylock paint too?

HI, My home?s water well is accessible from within my basement in a con crete room surrounded by earth on 5 sides (the 6th side being accessible fr om within my basement via a door). This room is covered by 3-6? of soil above, and has a concrete slab roof with a steel hatch through which the well was originally drilled. When I waterproofed the perimeter of my b asement 5 years ago, I exposed this room down to the house?s footer /toe drain, cleaned all concrete surfaces, applied asphaltic coating and im permeable membrane, and backfilled. This has kept liquid water out ever si nce, but that well room is still ?damp? from time to time. I store nothing in there. It houses my (jet) pump, and a pressure tank fo r the house. Now that I?ve finished my basement as living space, I installed a door on this room to limit the pump noise, and general dampnes s.

Question: should I bother to also apply a coating of Drylock or other concr ete sealer to the interior of this room, and maybe the floor too? Would th at help with minimizing the humidity, or just money thrown away? All opinions appreciated.

Thanks Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

replying to millinghill, Iggy wrote: The Drylok will do a good job at dropping the humidity level, but it usually only stays adhered for a maximum of 10-years. After that, as little as 5-years, it should be scraped off and a new coat or 2 put on. If you get 10-years per application it's not too horrible, but as you discovered with the rest of the basement, the exterior inflow needs to be addressed...even if it's that room's roof.

Your waterproofing the rest of the basement is fine, but you may have only stopped the water just from entering the walls...for now. Meaning, the well-room may be your last chance to get everything right. Water must run and flow away from the building and not be allowed to sit or gather for your treatments to last.

The ground should gently ramp down and away from the house, there should be no puddles anywhere, gutter downspouts should either have long legs on them or be depositing into concrete aproned watertight piping that releases far away or onto a steeper and lower slope and the yard should be sculpted with gentle crowns leading to perimeter gullies or swales to stop any water from flooding into the home's dry zone.

Reply to
Iggy