Don't invest in solar power

While solar power seems to be a form of free energy, after the initial investment for equipment, dont do it! The reason is that in less than one year, the Sun is going to burn out. Without the sun, solar power will not work. You'll spend many thousands of dollars on equipment that will not have any value. Some persons believe that the Sun will last forever, when in fact it's nearly dead now. It's been burning for millions of years, and it's almost out of fuel. Once the Sun burns out, all solar equipment is obsolete, and you'll only get scrap metal value for it, which is little compared to the cost to buy it.

It is likely the Sun will actually burn out before the end of this year.

Reply to
mattheron

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 04:26:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lakenet.org wrote in Re Don't invest in solar power:

Not so. While the sun is shining you can capture some of the solar generated power and use it to power a light that you shine on the solar power array. That will keep generating electricity after the sun dies. You can do the same type of recapturing with wind turbines connected to large fans.

It sounds like a perpetual motion machine, but that is the kind of thing that appeals to greenie weenie sun/wind enthusiasts.

Reply to
CRNG

Facetious, obviously, but any homeowner knows that stuff wears out and has to be replaced. IMHO, estimated payback periods do not consider this in their calculations.

Reply to
Frank

Andy comments

If what you say is true, simply take out a loan for the cost of the solar installation.... When the sun burns out, there will be no heat or light, and the loan company cannont find your house to repossess their property...

.... dude... you just gotta think it through !!!!

Andy

Reply to
Robert

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 08:34:42 -0400, Frank wrote in Re Re: Don't invest in solar power:

Agree. Few people take depreciation into account when making an economic decision. That's probably because it would interfere with getting the answer they want.

Reply to
CRNG

The only difference with home-generated energy and commercially-supplied energy is the size of the government subsidies. Neither system is economically sustainable without outside support

*or* raising prices to reflect the real costs and risks of the ventures.
Reply to
Hell Toupee

Soylent green?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

"economy of scale"?... Isn't that just claptrap, fantasized by unscientific economists/bean counters?

Oops... ignore the above... wrong news group!

ps. (not to be a pedant, but it's 'economies of scale')

-- "The world will end in 100 months because of Global Warming" Canadian Greenpeace, May 3, 2008.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Advanced??? Then why do your automobiles pollute the air?

Fact: 99.999% of automobiles licensed to go on the road in Europe, since 1970, _HAVE NOT_ been allowed on the roads of North America. Reason... they don't meet the California/USA/ Canadian emission regulations!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Economics is a big part of engineering, too.

pps. it's both.

krw

So you admit that Obama is *many* times worse than "Shrub".

Reply to
krw

Oh, you're right. My bad. That's what I get for paying more attention to my lunch than what I'm typing. That loan to that company was throwing good money after bad, but still, the amount was a whole lot less than the OP had presumed. Our defense budget is somewhere in the $700 billion range, to put it in perspective. Not even defense contractors get that kind of money.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I remember you! Weren't you the guy who was selling Y2K food & water supplies and equipment? I had a neighbor who bought three years of your "Ready Meals". The only reason he didn't sue you is that his wife and her mother moved out after he bought a 20 year supply blended whiskey.

Reply to
Dick Adams

What makes you think "no one can figure out where the money went"?

Anyone with an ounce of comman sense and an eyeball/ear for news knows the money went to rich and influencial ppl who know exactly what bogus business to set up to receive govt subsidies/grants/financing/handouts/bailouts/the-latest-media-term, etc. Where you been all yer life!? It's only been going on since the biginning of time.

nb

Reply to
notbob

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:jsiei2$4pk$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

Where does this guy live in Europe? Most of Europe doesn't have the type of weather suited to solar.

Plus,$6000 USD is quite a lot of KWH,unless his KWH over there is outrageously priced. I'm also curious as to how it's put back into the power grid,phasing and all that.

then there's the cost of the solar panels and installation,so how long will it take to pay off that debt? what subsidies did he get?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Really? You've never seen a Ford or GM car in Europe? What a liar, you are, harry.

Reply to
krw

Jesus!... this Harry bloke needs a lie down.

I wasn't talking about American cars... I was talking about cars _ALLOWED_ on the roads of NORTH AMERICA.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

At least you admit that you're a damned liar.

Reply to
krw

Why don't you move the goalposts some more, liar?

Reply to
krw

You're a liar. He did deny it, as did every sane person here.

Wrong, as usual.

Yanks certainly do but Rebs, not so much.

Reply to
krw